Thursday, March 24, 2005

Rain and Banana Pancakes

Well, it's official. Tuesday's rainfall has pushed the total for the season above 35", making this the second wettest year in the recorded history of Los Angeles. The expected downpour tonight/tomorrow probably won't push us over the 38.18" record (set in the 1883-84 season), but the year is young, yet. I for one am happy we've had such a wet year. Yesterday when I was driving home from work, with the thick gray clouds looming over the San Gabriels, and the hills and miscellaneous freeway-side foliage all lush and verdant, I could almost believe I was on that stretch of the I-5 between Wolf Creek and Canyonville. It's nice. :)

Meanwhile Seattle's dealing with a drought and the whole Pacific Northwest is in for a season of nasty wildfires with no one to fight them (since the Nat'l Guard, which usually picks up the slack during fire season, has sent everyone on extended tours of duty in Iraq instead). That's not so nice.

Better get back to work. Fortunately, for me, I've got a 3-day weekend ahead (never heard of an American company giving its employees Good Friday off, but I'm not complaining). I'll leave you with the lyrics to one of Jack Johnson's new songs, Banana Pancakes. I've found this to be a particularly fitting song, of late.

No comments: