Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Blasts from the Past

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been reading some great books from my youth (and a couple that I didn't read as a youngster, but should have). Tom & I bought the classic Madeleine L'Engle Time Quartet (A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters...I'd never read the latter two), as well as Ellen Raskin's The Westing Game, which I first read in fifth grade and made a point of picking up every so often thereafter until about high school. They were quick, thoroughly enjoyable reads, and I was glad to have rediscovered some really excellent stories that I'll be excited to pass on to my own kids someday.

The long weekend was otherwise uneventful. The scathingly warm weather seems to have retreated somewhat, for which I'm grateful. We did go see Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith on Sunday night (see Tom's post about it here), but aside from that, I think we only made it out of the apartment once, briefly, to run some errands. The rest of the time we lazed around in the relative cool, reading, doing crosswords, playing cards, etc. It was nice.

And now turning 180 degrees on the excitement scale, my grandparents found themselves in the midst of some undesired hubbub yesterday morning when cops followed a crazed gunman into the Simi Valley WalMart where my grandma was shopping. In my grandpa's words, "Grandma went in and I was parked
right outside the front door...only ten minutes went by before a police helicopter almost landed on my roof, police cars came pouring in, two parked right in front of my car with doors open and shotguns pointed at the front door. All hell broke loose and the police were screaming at people to get of the store and run, run, run." Fortunately, my grandma got out of the store unscathed. Thank goodness!

All righty, that's the latest. Back to work I go...

No comments: