Tuesday, August 23, 2005

All About the Assonance

I've got a gripe with that Overstock [dot] Com commercial...you know the one. There's a woman, dressed in white (when she's dressed at all), with a giant red O on the wall behind her.

Woman: At Overstock dot com, it's all about the O. And the O...is all about the clothes! Sometimes...it's all about the outdoors. It's all about the office. It's all about the home, and books, music, and videos. And...on occasion...it's all about the gold.

Now, I am irritated by the inclusion of "music" in this list of things "the O is all about." I know the u sounds like oo, which is close enough to o I guess, but I'm just not willing to make that leap. Even if I weren't annoyed by the commercial in and of itself, that hitch in the stride that comes along when spokeslady says "music" just bothers the hell out of me.

That's all. Just had to get that out there.

5 comments:

Neil said...

Absolutely right. We need to write a letter to the company demanding them change to change music to something like audio.

mysterygirl! said...

I agree. It doesn't help that I find that woman incredibly annoying, although I know she has a cult following as a sex symbol (seriously!).

susan said...

neil - Yes! "Audio" would be perfectly acceptable to me.

mg! - *shudder*

Tom said...

Except "Audio" would, to many, carry the connotation of stereo eqipment. And "stereo" already has its own "o."

susan said...

Valid point.