Monday, August 15, 2005

Fifteen-minute thunderstorm

The first thunderclap woke me at 2:45. I lay awake a minute, my sleep-addled brain puzzling over whether it was actually storming outside or whether there had been some kind of explosion. Then I saw lightning flash through the blinds, so I figured we had just been blessed with a freak storm. Excellent.

Got up for a drink of water and the thunder rumbled again, this time rolling for a little while. I crawled back under the covers and started drifting off to sleep again when the rain began pattering against the window and the palm tree outside. It was ten to three. I listened as it built up to a rather enthusiastic downpour and wondered idly if I’d have to bust out my rain jacket in the morning for the first time in about 5 months.

Twas not to be, however. By 3:00 the rain had all but stopped. I could hear it sloshing through the rain gutters, but nothing new was falling. Ah well. The valley was cool and damp and gray this morning, a welcome change from the hot and muggy mornings of late.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Dude, I was up til 4 last night...shoulda called me ;)

susan said...

Yeah, I try to make it a habit not to call people in the middle of the night, just on the off chance that they're not up ;)