Tuesday, August 09, 2005

More fun at the Caltech gym

As per usual, I went to the gym after work to do some sweating, burn some calories, yada yada yada. All the cardio machines are on the second floor, and the elliptical machines are all lined up in front of a window overlooking the basketball court. The court was empty when I started my workout, so I just kind of stared blankly at the window, listening to Caviar on the iPod. And then, about 5 minutes into the workout, I saw it.

A.....huge....spider. Just chilling on the other side of the window. The thing was big enough that even from three feet away, I could see that its big back legs were striped. Which was kind of cool, actually. The rest of the legs and the body were all dark brown, but those back legs had little barber-pole stripes of tan on them.

Anyway, when some basketballers did eventually show up to play, I kept waiting for the spider to leap off the window in search of red meat or something, but it never did. Which makes the end of my story pretty boring. So, yeah, sorry about that.

4 comments:

Tom said...

Yeah, I saw that one yesterday. I'm not inclined to look closely.

Tom said...

Looked more closely this morning... I don't know- something about lack of oxygen made me do it!

All the legs are striped, and the body too. However, its web was not of the correct sort to make it a dreaded juvenile black widow.

susan said...

Hmm...very strange. Wonder if it's one of those jumpy spiders. They're supposed to be stripey.

Tom said...

Actually, it looks like the same kind of garden-type spider that is infesting campus these days. They're all over the dang place- between every two trees ;)