Monday, September 12, 2005

Quick gripe about the PA

In the lab where I worked before, our speakers were busted, so we could never hear the PA system. It was annoying not to be able to hear pages (and on more than one occasion, one or more of us got in trouble for not leaving the building when the fire alarm went off because we couldn't hear it!), but it was nice to not be subjected to commercial radio all day long. If I had to run something over to another part of the plant, I would happily groove to whatever was playing on the oldies station, but once I got back to my lab, I'd be back in my little iPod world.

My new office has a perfectly functional speaker. Until today, I had no phone in here, so it was fairly crucial that I be able to hear if people were paging me. And I like oldies well enough, so I enjoyed myself for the first few days.

The honeymoon period, however, is now over.

I am sick of hearing the same 15 songs every day. I am sick of the stupid deejay banter, the annoying-as-hell commercials, not to mention the 50,000 pages that interrupt the music all day long. To make matters worse, my speaker will only turn so low before turning off completely, and it's not very low!

This morning, I decided I'd had enough and it was time to bust out the iPod and thus attempt to drown out the radio while still (hopefully) being able to hear if I was being summoned by someone. Alas, I have neglected to charge the pod in a while, so the batteries lasted all of 35 seconds before crapping out on me. D'oh! Here's hoping I make it through the day without descending into a commercial-radio-induced homicidal rage...

4 comments:

mysterygirl! said...

Ech. Repeating songs are the worst. When I worked retail, they would play the same mix on repeat for the better part of a month, and I would be homicidal by the end of my shift.

Hope that a little 'Pod maintenance will take care of the problem for you! :)

susan said...

I hope so, too!

Megarita said...

It's funny -- a friend and I were just talking about how Classic Radio basically has a set list of 12 songs. You can only listen for about 20-30 minutes before they seem to start repeating! Hellish. Hellish and wrong.

I used to work retail in a foofoo bookstore and we were only allowed to bring in classical music. But even the classical goodies make you suicidal after a few listens. Nothing holds up to that much repetition. Godspeed, music sufferer...

susan said...

So help me, if I have to hear "Groovin'" by the Young Rascals one more time...