Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Sweet Cron


There is a produce farm right on Redwood Highway, just outside the Oregon town of Kerby, that I drive past every time I go to Caitlin's. As you might expect, around harvest time they put up large signs along the road advertising their various foods, and my most favorite sign of them all is the "Sweet Cron" sign.

Now, there are actually two "Sweet Cron" signs, and they're both on the southbound side of the highway. The signs on the northbound side are in fact spelled correctly, which isn't nearly as much fun.

You may ask, "What kind of an idiot misspells the word 'corn' on not one but two large, roadside signs?" I'll tell you. I don't know.

There is of course the rumor that they misspelled the signs on purpose just to get curious people to stop and ask about them. "Hey, what's up with your signs?" "Oh those? My kid painted 'em. Say, you want to buy some vegetables?" I'm not sure how good a business tactic it really is though, since I'm far more inclined to chuckle amusedly and keep on driving than to actually stop.

At any rate, over the years I have grown very fond of the Sweet Cron signs, whatever their mysterious origin may be, and though I've tried unsuccessfully to snap a good picture of them in the past, I finally got one on this last trip northward. May you all gain as much joy from the cron as I have. :)

14 comments:

Amy said...

I posted beach pics this morning...got any Pony Roni pics for me??

susan said...

On the morrow...

Neil said...

Maybe they're trying to get the hi-tech customers driving up from Silicon Valley?

"Cron is the name of program that enables unix users to execute commands or scripts (groups of commands) automatically at a specified time/date. It is normally used for sys admin commands, like makewhatis, which builds a search database for the man -k command, or for running a backup script, but can be used for anything. A common use for it today is connecting to the internet and downloading your email."

Megarita said...

Neil is a big old geek.

Love the cron! With butter!

susan said...

I'd love to see someone actually stop in at the farm and ask for software. That would be funny. ;)

Amy said...

My sister and I saw the Sweet Cron signs on a trip down to Gasquet a couple of weeks ago. On the trip, we also walked through one of the Redwood parks and found a bench donated by someone named Ferd. We looked at each other and both said "He must sell the sweet cron." While we assume that Ferd is short for Ferdinand, we prefer to think there is a dyslexic sign painter in Gasquet.

susan said...

Ha! That's great. :)

jan b. said...

Forward to the year 2014 ... the sign still exists ... just down (up?) the road from a place that boasted "Darn near Everything"! Amusing to find this post as my friend stopped to take a photo when we passed through the area yesterday.

susan said...

Aww, I love that the sign still exists. That makes me happy. :)

Unknown said...

Just decided to move to Kerby, and I vividly remember chuckling as I drove by those signs on my first visit :)

Unknown said...

Just decided to move to Kerby, and I vividly remember chuckling as I drove by those signs on my first visit :)

Anonymous said...

It's October 2016 and I just drove by the Sweet Cron signs! I found this because I had to Google it to find out the story. After the first sign I assumed it was a mistake, but after seeing the second I thought maybe it was intentional. Now I wish I'd stopped to ask.

Unknown said...

The story of sweet cron is short and sweet. I found it on Flickr.

Unknown said...

The story of sweet cron is short and sweet. I found it on Flickr.