Wednesday, September 21, 2005

These Peoples Tried Ta Fade Me!

Ever since I started working over at the far side of the plant, I've been entering through the security gate in the morning instead of going through the lobby. There's a guard shack, and the security guard inside will press a button to unlock the gate once you show him your badge. Or at least, that's the way it's supposed to work.

There's one guard who does not seem to understand this process. One morning I arrived to find the guard shack completely empty. I looked around a bit and finally saw him moseying across the parking lot. I have no idea what he was up to, but it seems he oughtn't leave his post, especially when he's the only one who can let people in to start their workday. Another morning I walked by the shack, holding my badge up, and he didn't even see me. Why? Because he was gaping slack-jawed at the solitaire game he was playing on the computer. I had to stand in front of the window for a few seconds, waving, before I was able to get his attention. Yesterday I stood in the (albeit light) rain waiting for him to quit gabbing to his buddy and buzz me in.

I don't blame the guy for being bored at his post (I certainly wouldn't want his job), but it seems to me the company probably should have hired someone a bit more suited to the task of guarding. Might have been a little better investment, I think.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Crappy guards :/

susan said...

It's really just the one. All the others seem to fully appreciate the nature of their job. ;)