Saturday, October 29, 2005

"I am a dead-eye shot, shooting."


Yes, that's an actual target of mine from today.

This morning Tom & I awoke and drove to the shooting range in Burbank, where we met up with my dad for some good, old fashioned, blow-holes-in-stuff fun. After a minor delay in the parking lot while we waited for some jackass parked his ginormosaur Hummer H2, we went inside, signed all the necessary waivers, and looked at our gun rental options. We chose a Glock-19 9mm and a Kimber 45 caliber. Equipped with targets and a couple of hundred rounds, we headed for the range.

I've shot a lot of .22s; I was on the pistol team for a year in college, and I got my first rifle when I was 8 or so years old. When we lived in middle-of-nowhere southern Oregon, my dad and I used to go shoot things in the backyard. I wouldn't shoot anything I don't have intentions of eating, and I'm a vegetarian, so you can take a guess as to what we shot. Whenever Mom cleaned out the fridge, there would invariably be some old forgotten winter squash or something, and we'd take it out to the back, put it up against a stump, and shoot it. A couple of times we shot some higher-caliber weaponry - I had a bruised shoulder for a week after the time we busted out the shotgun - but for the most part it was just a variety of .22 pistols, revolvers and rifles.

Today, however, we went for something with a bit more umph. None of us had shot anything in a number of years, so we were a bit out of practice, but we got the hang of it quickly. I mentioned last week I'd like to get a year pass to Magic Mountain so I could go ride roller coasters after I've had a bad day at work; I'm now rethinking that idea. A year's membership to the range might be even better! There's nothing quite so satisfying as squeezing the trigger on a .45, feeling that kick, seeing the resulting hole dead-center of the target. My thumb is sore from refilling the magazines, but that's okay. I'll take a little thumb pain in exchange for the satisfaction of a good day's gunplay. ;)

This evening we're off to a party in honor of Gram Gram's 80th birthday! That's really quite something. It'll be nice to see aunts, uncles and cousins I haven't seen in a while. All in all, shaping up to be a good weekend so far.

6 comments:

Momentary Academic said...

You're a good shot, lady. If ever I'm in danger, I'm calling you.

susan said...

Thanks. It helps that the nice paper target man was standing still and not shooting back at me. ;)

Tom said...

So did you eat the partially shot-ten squashes thereafter? Or are you cruel to vegetables (and gourds)?

susan said...

Did you miss the part about the squashes being oldy-moldy from the fridge? ;)

Tom said...

Did you miss the part that said, "[you] wouldn't shoot anything you [didn't] have intentions of eating"?

;)

susan said...

Yes, yes, I'm a crappy writer who contradicts herself more frequently than she'd like. Can we move on now?

;)