Monday, October 10, 2005

Seriously

I'm probably not going to say this eloquently, but I feel like I have to say it. Reading about the earthquake in Pakistan and mudslide in Guatemala makes me think about how the rest of the world often sees tragedy on a scale that most Americans could never even fathom. I felt that way after last December's tsunami, too. Don't get me wrong; the Katrina situation was horrible, but for different reasons. The storm itself wasn't the worst part, which is probably why the ensuing mess was so upsetting. With better planning, so much of that badness could have been prevented. But I digress.

My point is that, in my (albeit short) lifetime anyway, America hasn't really been faced with a natural disaster of truly catastrophic proportions. The Northridge earthquake, considered the worst earthquake in Los Angeles history - yes, it was only 6.8 or 6.9 in magnitude, and not 7.6 like the Pakistan quake - had a death toll of 57. I think if something happened in America resulting in 30,000 deaths, we wouldn't even know how to react.

Anyway, just had to get that out there. We now return to our regularly-scheduled blogging about mundane crap.

2 comments:

Megarita said...

My friend and I were talking last night about this very topic, and we decided that the earth is starting to clean house in earnest -- every continent is getting the shit kicked out of it in a very special way. We're being blown off as a species, I fear...

Momentary Academic said...

I think that you are absolutely correct. The U.S. couldn't handle a horrible natural disaster on that kind of scale. And I agree with Megarita, what's up with the earth cleaning house as it were?