Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Turn of the Sudz?

When I was about 8 or so, my horseback riding instructor took to calling me Suzzen, saying there was some rock star who went by that name. That got shortened to Suzz, and then one day she called me Sudz by mistake. For whatever reason, Sudz stuck, and that's been my nickname among family and close friends for a while now. (My parents hardly ever call me Susan, unless of course they're mad at me, which fortunately isn't very often now that I've passed those lovely teenage years.)

I quit broadcasting this as a nickname a few years back. I don't exactly introduce myself to business associates by saying, "Hello, I'm Susan. Please call me Sudz." I guess that's normal, to "outgrow" our childhood nicknames. It's certainly not something I'm embarrassed to be called, but it's not a nickname I'll specifically request new friends/acquaintances use.

Anybody else have any nicknames that are not at all or only tangentially related to your actual name?

7 comments:

YaYa & Miss Maggie said...

Hey Sudz...
Mine would be "Auntile"...from my weird neice, Jean....And of course..."Stepford", which is a l-o-n-g story! :)

mysterygirl! said...

Sudz is an awesome nickname! I want one! I can't disclose any that I've had-- they're all too close to my real name. :)

Marcy said...

You could have grown up as Bookend #1.....

Momentary Academic said...

I agree with MG! Take off the last to letters of my name and you've got mine.

Momentary Academic said...

whoops. two.

susan said...

Yaya - Yes, we're all Stepfords in this family!

MG! - How about Nokri? ("Not Kristen," in case people are confused by your Blogger avatar) ;) Random fun fact: apparently that's also a Hebrew word meaning 'stranger,' which fits in nicely with your blog identity of MysteryGirl!

Marcy - Bookend #1...such a cumbersome name for a child. Hehe.

MA - I guess you and MG! need more creative friends who can give you nicknames not so closely related to your actual names. ;)

RitMeyer said...

Rit is actually my nickname. My siblings called me rissa and the youngest one couldn't say it and he called me Rit and it stuck. My real name is Marissa.