Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Gmail scares me sometimes

Okay, I don't know how many folks use Gmail, but for those who aren't familiar, it's a free email service (like Hotmail) except it's run by Google. You get a ridiculous amount of space, and it's set up rather well, I think. The thing that is a little creepy from time to time is that the way Google can afford to offer such a great free-mail client is that they run text ads along the side of the screen. They're "smart ads" or something, which basically means Google uses its stellar searching capabilities to look for certain words in your emails and then the ads are supposedly tailored to your interests (or whatever it is you're writing about at the time).

Tom & I both had a heck of a time falling and staying asleep last night, and this morning I sent him an email to the effect of "Blargh, I'm so sleepy today." Upon receiving his reply, which said, "I'm sorry you couldn't sleep either," Gmail presented me with 4 text ads for...chloroform! Not Lunesta or NyQuil or melatonin -- chloroform.

I'm scared.

3 comments:

Momentary Academic said...

I know. The adds can be a bit strange at time.

mysterygirl! said...

Whoa! Gmail obviously wants you to knock yourself out... and I admit that chloroform would probably (sorta) have the desired effect... until the wicked hangover, and of course any spontaneous kidnappings that could occur while you're passed out.

(Sorry, that just seemed to lend itself to a whacked-out comment... i don't know where it came from!)

madre said...

I enjoyed the ads on the cat page for anger management and depression!!