Friday, November 25, 2005

We came, we feasted, we rolled away home

Thanksgiving dinner this year was held at my aunt & uncle's place. Tom & I arrived around 1:00 to a fine spread of hors d'ouvres. We had both the traditional - spanikopita, feta & olives, dolmathes, chips and onion dip - and the innovative - baguette slices with cream cheese, homemade pesto and chopped sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives. We snacked, drank wine, watched football (Joey, please stop throwing interceptions...we beg of you!) and chatted while the rest of dinner was being prepared.

Soon it was time for the eating. There was a fine turkey, 2 kinds of stuffing (vegetarian version for me, bacon-laced version for the others), green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams & marshmallows, homemade cranberry sauce, and corn. We ate until we could eat no more!


After dinner we retired to the living room and fought off sleep. Later, it was time for the annual writing upon the Thanksgiving tablecloth. This was a tradition started only 2 years ago, but I think it's a really good one. We have a big, white tablecloth, and every year we write upon it what we're thankful for. There's usually much laughter involved, and this year was no exception. Silly me, though; I neglected to get a photo of it.

By the time we put the tablecloth away, we all decided we were finally ready for a bit of dessert. Since Tom's birthday is coming up next week, we put candles on one of the pies for him. Of course, we didn't have the right candles, so he'll be turning 81 this year. Looks good for his age though, doesn't he?


After dessert, we were treated to an impromptu performance by Aunt Teresa, who has recently discovered her talent as a tamborine virtuosa. Her playing truly is something to behold!


We then settled down to watch The Polar Express, which was even more horrifying than I expected it would be (and I didn't have high hopes for this movie at all). Fortunately, all of us were equally horrified, so nobody took it seriously, and we mocked it all the way through a la MST3k.

And so there it was; a fine time was had by all. Excellent food, excellent company, and much, much laughter. But then, I wouldn't expect anything less in this family. :)

3 comments:

Tom said...

I do look like I'm still a teenager, there. I swear I'll be in my 40s before they stop carding me.

Oh, you forgot to mention the messed-up elf-garters from the Polar Express! Gratuitous animated elf-lingerie!

Amy said...

I'm sad that Polar Express was such a disappointment...Christmas with the Kranks wasn't that spectacular either

Momentary Academic said...

Tom looks fabulous for 81. I only hope to look that good! I'm so glad that you had such a fun thanksgiving.