Thursday, January 12, 2006

Oxymoronicness

The Kaiser-Permanente Medical Office of Pasadena offer what I believe to be quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Appointment-only Urgent Care.

Is not the point of urgent care that one's sudden ailments can be examined on a walk-in basis? It doesn't seem the good folks of Kaiser are quite so dedicated to their patients' ability to "live well and thrive" as they claim...

My congestestion of these past few days has turned into a full-blown sinus infection. By the end of today I was fairly miserable and decided to take tomorrow morning off so I could go to the doctor. When I got home from work this afternoon, I tried calling to set up an appointment, but Kaiser's phone system was experiencing technical difficulties, so I was directed to go to the nearest health center and make my appointment in person. Fortunately, the nearest center is all of 6 blocks away.

I went in and asked if I could make an urgent care appointment (trying all the while not to guffaw), and after I was rather snippily informed that the Pasadena Medical Office doesn't offer urgent care, and that I could maybe make an appointment for tomorrow, the receptionist suddenly furrowed her brow and said, "Okay, I'll go ahead and just do it. I'm signing you in right now for an appointment tonight."

Quite the turnaround! But I most certainly wasn't going to argue. I got to see a doctor, and I got to take home a big bottle of amoxicillin. Yay for me. Hopefully I'll be feeling much better soon.

2 comments:

Momentary Academic said...

Feel better, kiddo. (I call you kiddo because you're my brother's age.) So feel better.

susan said...

Thanks MA. You're welcome to call me kiddo.