Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Fun Weekend

Friday afternoon, my mom arrived at LAX for a week-long visit with her mom & sister. On Saturday, I met up with them at Aunt Teresa's after I got off work. Even though Tom and Max and I would be making dinner that evening, I could not resist eating some of Aunt Teresa's amazing hors d'ouvres. Little baguette pieces with cream cheese, pesto (made with basil straight from their garden) and sun-dried tomatoes, homemade spanakopita and dolmathes, and tasty baklava provided by Grandpa. For dinner there was spaghetti with homemade sauce (with tomatoes from the garden), and while I knew that actually eating a full helping was a bad idea, I couldn't help at least trying some sauce with a piece of delicious garlic bread. ;) It was the right decision - the sauce was excellent.

That evening we made chicken adobo, green beans and sticky rice, with banana-chocolate chip scones for dessert. I didn't manage to get any photos, but it was delish. In fact, Tom & I just finished eating the leftovers for our dinner tonight. ;) After dinner, we watched Dodgeball. It was incredibly stupid, but I could not stop laughing. Utter absurdity at every turn. I can appreciate a movie that continuously makes fun of itself, as this one does.

This morning we headed over to Magic Mountain in hopes of finally getting to ride X. Alas and alack, it was closed down for repairs. We got there early enough that there were hardly any people there. We never waited more than 5 minutes for any ride. It was actually kind of creepy, walking around the park practically by ourselves, but cool at the same time. Unfortunately, I got a little nauseated, which almost never happens to me on roller coasters, so after spending 2 hours in the park and getting on 4 coasters, we called it a day and went for lunch. As we left, the girl manning the exit gates was shocked that we didn't want our hands stamped to come back later. ;) But we didn't get those season passes for nothing! So with the rest of the day stretched out ahead of us, we came home and watched Chinatown. Well, Tom watched Chinatown. I fell asleep. I'll be taking it with me to San Diego tomorrow to try again. ;)

After the movie, we went to the Caltech gym to play some racquetball. It was good exercise, and so much more fun than running. Sure, Tom kicked my ass up and down the court, but it was still a good time. And if we make a habit of playing relatively often, I might actually get to be fairly decent at it. ;)

Home to dinner and preparations for the week ahead. Hope everyone had as pleasant a weekend as we did. :)

No comments: