Tuesday, August 15, 2006

What I Did (and didn't do) This Weekend

  • I did not do any reading for class or lab report writing this weekend. Bad Susan. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow and Wednesday...
  • I did go to work on Saturday. I did not actually do much work while I was there. But in all fairness, there really wasn't that much that needed doing.
  • After work I helped Gram Gram fix her computer. She gave me money, which I only accepted after her insistance that I use it to purchase filet mignons to make for dinner. I did so, Tom pan seared them and finished them in the oven, and they were exquisite.
  • We did watch Underworld: Evolution on Saturday night. It was not as good as Underworld (the first one). It was also really, really, gratuitously gory. I mean, I'm not squeamish, but damn.
  • I did not write any more thank you notes. The guilt remains heavy on my conscience. Tomorrow, tomorrow...
  • I cleaned out the catboxes. That is to say, I dumped out all the old litter and hosed the suckers down before drying and refilling them. They were gross and in dire need of a thorough cleaning. They looked much better afterward.
  • I vacuumed the apartment. I continue to marvel at the awsomeness of our new vacuum.
  • I dried the dishes that Tom washed, and I folded one of the loads of laundry. This is not exciting in any way, and I'm not sure why I'm bothering to mention it, except for continuity's sake.
  • I did cajole Tom into going shooting with me. The range recently got a new 9mm that's sort of in the style of a Glock but not quite so heavy on the trigger, and I gave it a try. My first three rounds all went through the same hole...about two inches left of the x-ring. I eventually got the hang of the sight and shot reasonably well, though never again with the same astounding precision of those first three rounds.
  • I did manage to stay out of the sun for the most part. Our apartment was still too warm, however, even though it wasn't all that hideously hot outside. In fact, it was cooler and breezier outside than in, even though we had all the windows open and fans going. Let's all recite the fifth law of thermodynamics...
  • I slept fairly well on Saturday night and poorly last night. I couldn't seem to stay asleep. I was tired for most of today.

As a direct result of this last bullet point, I am going to read a few pages of my book and (hopefully) fall fast asleep. A pleasant evening to you all.

UPDATE:

Here's the "Farscapey" triangular sight on the Steyr. Because visual aids are always good. ;)

8 comments:

Tom said...

You didn't have to cajole me. I just couldn't go on Thursday because we both needed to, you know, get up early on Friday.

I shot well on my first clip- but then got a case of the shakes and was all over the target. Still hit it, though ;)

I didn't like the Steyr much; the sight was weird. It was like something out of Farscape, what with crazy triangular shapes.

susan said...

I'm glad you remembered the name of the Steyr. ;) I liked that with its sight, you could line up the tip of the middle triangle with the flat parts of the side ones. With the Beretta you're trying to line up 3 dots horizontally, which is a little trickier for me. Personal preferences, that's all. :)

Incommunicado aka Max said...

It's just unbelievable when the outside is cooler than the inside (apartment). My college room is like that in the summer too, and i can't help feeling like a suffocated plant in a greenhouse. Just wanna camp in my college doorway all day long. Haha.

Tom said...

Re: UPDATE (always full-caps update notices in the text (or bold them))...

Focus, people, on the sight picture. Crazy slanty lines everywhere! Where only dots or notches belong!

susan said...

It is bolded. ;) I concede that I should have made it bigger, however.

susan said...

max - I completely understand re: camping in the doorway. Thankfully we have our nice new window air conditioner in the bedroom, so at least we were able to sleep comfortably at night. But boy do the living room and kitchen become miserable during the day...

Momentary Academic said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who loves a good vacuum cleaner!

Tom said...

It truly is a fantastic thing... wonder if those Dyson cleaners are any good.