Wednesday, September 06, 2006

American Klutz

Last Wednesday I started running again, since I've got 2 days each week in San Diego with little to do (homework/reading/studying for my current class is almost nonexistent). I don't really like running, but I've got to do something to stay active, and it's remarkably effective for improving the cardiovascular fitness. This morning, after lazing around and surfing the internets for a goodly while, I dragged myself out to get some exercise. I've been jogging a little 1.3-mile loop near my friend's house, just to get back in the swing of things; when I rejoin the Caltech gym next month, I'm going to start swimming, too.

Anyway, I was a bit more than halfway through my route, when I suddenly found myself flat on my belly with blood gushing out of my chin. Buh?! I had been passing a church that was undergoing some construction and was surrounded by a chain link fence. This fence had little "feet" that stuck a little ways out onto the sidewalk, and I was paying too much attention to my iPod and too little attention to where I was going to avoid tripping over one of them.

Below is a graphical representation of the event, inspired partly by American Splendor, which we watched this weekend, and partly by MysteryGirl!.



I'm okay. I broke my fall with my knees and then my chin, with my hands coming up as something of an afterthought. Heh. (No, Mom, I didn't rebreak my jaw.) The bright side? Looks like I won't be running tomorrow! (And I got a blog post out of it. Hehe.)

Update: I ended up going to the hospital after all because I feared I might have fractured my right patella in the fall. (As in, "when I fell" and not "in the autumn.") They took x-rays (no fracture...phew!) and I asked someone to take a look at my chin while I was there. The doc deemed it worthy of 4 stitches, so he sewed me up and sent me on my way. Astoundingly, I was in and out of there in 90 minutes (at a Kaiser hospital!), so that was good. But now I have lovely black threads in my chin. Chah-ming.

10 comments:

Tom said...

:( poor Susan

mysterygirl! said...

Oh no!

On the bright side, your drawings are way cooler than my drawings-- I love the falling Susan-- she's so lifelike! :) AND now you can take a break from running.

Amy said...

:( at least it wasn't like the time you tripped on the posthole digger...that was nasty and tramatic, for me :)

susan said...

Tom: At least I wasn't on my skateboard. ;)

MG!: Aw, thanks :) I am a big fan of your drawings though. They are very expressive.

Amy: Yeah, I was reminded of that incident while I was being sewn up. That incident that occurred fifteen years ago. Don't you feel old now?

Lord Chimmy said...

On the flip side you'll have a cool scar on your chin to show off.

Women with scars...bonus points.

YaYa said...

Awwww...Leo & Loki will have great fun playing with your "chin threads"..happy you are up & about!

Momentary Academic said...

I missed this! Oh my goodness! I hope that you are okay! The cartoons made me simultaneously happy and concerned.

susan said...

Chimmy: Enough bonus points to make up for the fact that I'm really clumsy? That'd be nice. ;)

Yaya: I hadn't thought about that. I am going to have to make sure the threads are well concealed by a bandaid or something when I go to sleep!

MA: Well, I was laughing when I drew the cartoons, and the idea was for them to be amusing. Really, I'm a-ok. Not sure which is more bruised though - my knees or my pride. ;)

Tom's Dad said...

Sorry you got sucked into our vortex of bad luck !

susan said...

Hmm...maybe I'd better go move my car out from under that tree...

;)