Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Slowly Lowly

When I was a kid, it took me almost no time at all to get through a book, even a fairly long one. This was primarily due, I believe, to the fact that I was able to read in the car whenever we went anywhere. I didn't fully appreciate it at the time, but these days I would be most grateful for the opportunity. Nowadays I usually only make it through ten or fifteen minutes of reading at night before my eyelids grow heavy. It takes me weeks to get through a few hundred pages. Weeks!

This has been particularly irritating of late, due to a growing list of books I'd like to read. I'm almost tempted to start two or three at once, but I know such an attmept would be futile. By the time I got through a chapter of the third book, I'd forget what was going on in the first. Lame.

The clear answer here is that I need to hire a chauffeur. Public transportation in L.A. is unfortunately just not up to the task. I took the train to work one day, when Tom had to take the car to the shop, but even getting on the very first train at 5am put me to work an hour late. Plus I had to walk a mile. No, a chauffeur would be the way to go. I wouldn't have to get all stressed out about the traffic; I could just immerse myself in a novel and forget where I was. I bet I'd arrive to work in a much better mood, too. Yeah, that extra hour a day would really help me make a dent in my reading list.

Or I could just go spend another ten days on the beach in Mexico. That would work, too.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I used to be able to read in the car, but after I went on a cruise several years ago and we hit a horrible hurricane, I get motion sickness when reading in the car. It saddens me greatly. I LOVE the idea of a chauffeur. Even out here in the IE traffic sucks.

Let's just all go to Mexico!