Monday, March 05, 2007

Turn brain inside out and shake

There are reasons I haven't managed to post more than once or twice a week, lately. Granted, not all of them are very good reasons. Mostly I just haven't felt like I've had all that much to say. I am hoping that I'll be able to (finally!) report some good news tomorrow, but I'll not get ahead of myself now. Life recently has been an odd mix of busy and repetitive. I get up early, I go to work, I run errands/go to the dive shop/go home/go to the gym, I make and eat dinner, I watch TV, I shower, I sleep, I wake up and do it all again. By the time the weekend rolls around, there are chores to do and errands to run and sometimes fun stuff to do as well. Before I know it, Monday's here again and it's, "Okay! Places, people! Let's take it from the top!" The weeks roll by like stones that sure as hell aren't going to gather any moss. I mean, it's already March, for Pete's sake. Summer will be here in all its hideousness before we know it. Who's supposed to find blogging time under these conditions?

I know, I know. Finding the time is exactly the point. But since I can't seem to manage that, I'll go with a bullet-style update on the various stuff I've been up to, amid the daily grind and whatnot.

  • I have been making a concerted effort to go to the gym more often. I started out by "running" on the elliptical trainer thingy a few times a week for twenty or thirty minutes. That evolved into actual running on treadmills at about the same frequency and duration. I also tried to catch the yoga classes whenever I wasn't stuck late at work. I even went to a kickboxing class at my friend's gym a couple of weeks ago (could barely move for two days as a result, but it was fun!). For a while now, I've had my eye on the hour-long aerobics classes they have at the gym in the evenings. Last week I went to two of them, and starting tomorrow, I'm going to make it an every day thing. And yes, I'm saying that here so that if I slack off, I will be forced to hang my head in miserable, miserable failure. ;)

  • We've had dinner a few times now at Chipotle. It's kind of like Subway meets Taco Bell, only not disgusting. Actually, it's quite delicious. You pick out your entree (burrito, soft tacos, crispy tacos, bowl, salad) and then follow it down the line adding your fillings of choice. It's fast food that doesn't suck out a little bit of your soul every time you eat it.

  • This book I'm reading, A Perfect Red, is all about how Spain secured a monopoly on red dye for something like three hundred years when they discovered cochineal in their Mexican colonies. Cochineal is an insect that lives on the nopal cactus (native to South America), which the indigenous population had worked to cultivate for centuries. The insects were collected, dried out, and crushed to produce a red dyestuff that could be unequaled by any other in those days. The rest of Europe wanted it, but the insects were so lacking in fortitude that the slightest change in living conditions would kill them, so attempts to smuggle them out of the country in order to start up cultivation elsewhere were mostly in vain. I had no idea how big a thing this was in the sixteenth through nineteenth centuries. Truly a captivating read.

  • We watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang a few weeks ago. It was hilarious. I didn't expect it to be quite as funny as it was. Another amusing recent rental was Harold & Kumar go to White Castle. Not high art or anything, but definitely good for a laugh. Many laughs, in fact.

All right, that's all I can come up with for now. Time to get some sleep, because the alarm will be a-blaring soon enough. Keep your fingers crossed that I'll be able to post that good news tomorrow.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Prickly pear!