Tuesday, June 26, 2007

You know how I know you're old?


Yesterday I turned 26. Another year on the planet, and I have to say, this past year has been pretty fantastic. I learned how to scuba dive, I took a fabulous Caribbean vacation, I went scuba diving while on my fabulous Caribbean vacation, I quit my awful job and got one I like, and I made some great new friends.

For my birthday, my most excellent (and only) husband got us tickets to see Patton Oswalt & Janeane Garofalo tell some jokes at the Troubadour in West Hollywood. It was the last stop on their comedy tour promoting Ratatouille, to which they both have lent their voices, and it was (no great surprise) a very good show. That Patton never disappoints. Janeane's set was also good, but a bit heavy on the political stuff, which is funny, but I'm getting a little tired of it. I mean, it's almost as sad as it is funny, the state of absolute dysfunction in our government. But anyway, still a great set, and she got major brownie points from me for telling some X-Files jokes. Hell yes she did. Patton was kind enough to do his failure pile in a sadness bowl bit, which I find hilarious, but some of his best material was a series of improvisational riffs he did with people in the audience.

Here's how I know we're old. The Troubadour is a small venue, far better suited to rock shows than comedy. There's VIP seating up in a balcony and...no other seating. So what did we do? We found a space against the back wall so we could lean. And were quite pleased to do so. Old.

On that happy note, I'm off to get ready for sleeping. I've got to hurry or else I'll get my second wind around 11:30 (the shank of the evening!) and then I'll be wide awake until 1:00 and exhausted all day tomorrow. Like I was today. I'm talking pseudo-narcoleptic for most of the morning. So tired that I voluntarily skipped lunch in order to nap in my car instead. And it's not as though I have to get up at 5:30 anymore. I got a decent 6 hours of sleep last night. That used to be enough. No longer, it seems.

It's hell to get old.

8 comments:

Lord Chimmy said...

26? Old?! Dear God! I must be ready for assisted suicide at my age!

Neil said...

Happy belated. It sounds like you had fun.

susan said...

Chimmy - I know, I know. I don't actually think 26 is old. I was trying to be funny. (And yeah, maybe I was also trying to elicit outraged comments from you 30-somethings...) Tee hee.

Neil - Thanks! I did. Glad Sophia is doing better. Your porch is looking positively vibrant. :)

Megan said...

OLD?!?! Goodness gracious. Happy belated birthday my dear! Sounds like it was a lovely evening.

susan said...

Thanks Megan :)

Momentary Academic said...

Happy Birthday young lady! Because that's what you are.

YOUNG!

YOUNG!

YOUNG!

Your name should be Susan YOUNG.

:)

plain jane said...

I thought I was the only person who napped in her car during lunch. I love taking public transportation now, but at first it freaked me out because--like ho could I manage when I didn't have a car to nap in.

susan said...

There were quite a few car-sleepers at the place I used to work. Sometimes that lunchtime nap just does the trick, and if you've got nowhere else to catch one, the car works quite well!