Saturday, October 06, 2007

Some tedium for ya

Ha. I just realized that my last post was the six hundred sixty-sixth. Part of me feels like I should have written about sacrificing goats or something. Or not. Aaaanyway, moving on...

I had to go to San Diego today to fetch some crucial data for my thesis. I haven't had to do that drive for a while, and I was astounded anew at the stupid little traffic clusters that crop up along the freeway. There weren't any accidents, and there was no road construction; there was essentially no good reason for there to be any slowage or outright stoppage of vehicular movement. There are just too damned many people on the roads. Southern California blows.

All in all it seems to have been a successful trip though. I finally have my experimental results in-hand (well, in-hard drive), so I'll be able to actually, you know, finish writing my thesis. And I managed to find good music to play in the car, so as not go completely batshit crazy. I'm tired, but not whooped.

And now for a gestational update: According to my Great Expectations book (not the Dickens version), the little critter is almost 3 inches long and developing vocal cords this week. The book goes week-by-week, which is pretty cool, and has very silly analogies for size. "This week your baby is approximately the size of a chocolate chip or berry." "Your baby is just under an inch long...about the size of a thumbprint!" The next week, it was a garden beetle. Then a peanut. Then a squash ball. We're currently up to the goldfish level. What will be next?! What?! I'm expecting to read in a few weeks that it's as tall as a llama's ear. Hello, Captain Random!

That's all I've got for now. I'm being distracted by the delicious smelling linguine in the kitchen. Gotta go get me some a that. ;)

6 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my gosh!!! I am so excited and proud for you guys. I can't even contain it right now.

!!!

Momentary Academic said...

Well, you have to keep eating so that the baby will become as big as smurf (three apples high!).

Updates are always, always, welcome.

Anonymous said...

Yay for updates!!! Still basking in the "great-grandmother to be" glow!!
Our little three inch marvel will be welcomed and loved by a HUGE family & friends fan club....Have you had the "welcome new sibling" conversation with Leo & Loki Yet? :) PLEASE keep the updates coming. YaYa & Buddy
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Megan said...

I had the same realization about LA traffic the first time I drove out there when I no longer commuted from Riverside. SoCal really blows like that.

I will echo the chorus with a big yay for baby updates! I love hearing them, and I'm secretly hoping the book really does say something like a llama's ear. That one made me laugh. You're too funny chica!

Megan said...

AND! I just noticed that you are reading The Time Traveler's Wife. I love that book!

susan said...

(Aunt) Megan - Thanks :) It's a pretty exciting thing. And holy cow, I'm about a third of the way through the book and am thoroughly enjoying it. I've stayed up way too late the last two nights, wanting to read just a little bit more.

MA - What a smurfing great analogy! ;) I have a feeling you could get an editing job when they are ready to release the next edition of that pregnancy book.

Yaya - Leo & Loki are still blissfully clueless about the whole "new family member" thing. Possibly once my belly starts expanding, they'll suspect something is up.

Megan - Seriously, where are all these people going? I don't get it. And I'll be sure to let everyone know when we're at the llama's ear stage, even if the book doesn't actually use that comparison. ;)