Friday, October 12, 2007

Willpower? What willpower?

Every Friday, I go out to lunch with some friends from my old job. Our usual haunts are Quizno's, El Pollo Loco and Taco Hell (I know...we're high class), with Chipotle making an occasional appearance for special occasions, since it's a bit of a drive. But oh, no. Today they informed me that they wished to go...where?...to McDonald's, since they are playing the Monopoly game. They invited me to pick up lunch from wherever and meet them at the golden arches, but as my unborn child had clearly gone to great lengths to arrange the stars just so, I could not refuse.

However.

The cheeseburger did not live up to my memory of it's kind. It may be worth noting here that the last time I ate a McDonald's cheeseburger was, oh, almost a decade ago, before my vegetarianism. After I fell off that wagon, McDonald's was one place I never felt any desire to revisit, which is why the craving was so unusual. Today's cheeseburger was not disgusting, but it was nowhere near the perfection of the one I had built up in my mind. So I expect this craving to dwindle away from here on out. What will replace it? It's anybody's guess at this point.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yay for Monopoly! We used to play religiously. Stupid, addictive game...but not for the actual Monopoly pieces. It was way better when they gave out the "Best Buy Bucks." Now the points for Toys R Us and Footlocker aren't as appealing...although, I suppose my niece/nephew would enjoy something I might find in a toy store :)

Momentary Academic said...

Perhaps you want a really good cheeseburger. I think that you should get Tom to take you somewhere where you can get a fancy handmade cheeseburger.

That could do it.

susan said...

Amy - Yeah, I could see how Best Buy Bucks would be pretty sweet.

MA - We did have In-N-Out cheeseburgers for lunch today. When you come out to the west coast, you MUST sample the In-N-Out burger. (Dang, there goes the drool again...)