Friday, October 12, 2007

You asked for it

Yep, it's time for more updates. Try as I might, I'm having a hard time coming up with something to write about other than this whole "new life growing inside me" thing. Sorry if that alienates anyone. Most of the people who read this are family anyway, and I know you guys are all detail-hungry, so I figure you probably won't mind too much if I babble about this stuff for a while.

All right, so we're officially in Week 14. Great Expectations could have done better with this week's size comparison: "Your baby weighs about 1 1/2 ounces and is about three to four inches long - almost as wide as your fist." Umm...don't you mean "almost as long as your fist is wide?" Because, as Tom said, the way they wrote it makes it sound like the kid's suddenly become spherical, and that's just creepy. Little Cartman-looking thing in there making me crave pot pies and cheezy poofs...

Speaking of cravings, I suppose you're wondering if I've had any odd ones yet. The short answer is "Not really," but since Week 14 is officially the start of the second trimester, I guess I'm due to start having them pretty soon. The one slightly weird (for me) thing has been a bizarre yen for McDonald's cheeseburgers, but I haven't actually given in to that craving. I'm gonna go ahead and refuse on the grounds of "yuck, even if I do need to eat cheeseburgers, I will acquire them elsewhere." Mostly I've craved normal things (pizza, burritos, cheese, tomato soup) but I have found that, on occasion, whatever I'm craving is the only thing that sounds good to me. That's happened to me in the past, of course, usually when I'm sick, but it seems to be a more frequent thing these days.

So the first trimester is over. Since I didn't get to write about it at the time, here's a brief recap. I had a fair bit of nausea for a little while there, but I was fortunate in that I didn't have the classic "can't keep anything down" morning sickness. I was super, duper, extra tired at first; I had an even harder time than usual staying awake during meetings. We got to see the first ultrasound image at 7 weeks (that's the photo below), and when we were watching in real time on the screen, we could see a little flashing light that signified the heartbeat. That was pretty awesome. Even though the kid itself didn't look very human yet, that little heartbeat flicker made the whole thing more real to me, even though I didn't yet (and still don't, really) feel pregnant.

I've had some trouble sleeping lately. Mostly, it's trouble going back to sleep after I get up for a middle-of-the-night trip to the bathroom. I've also, in the last week, developed some congestion that I'm told is fairly common and will likely last through the remainder of the pregnancy (fun!). However, I have also gotten the promised second trimester nausea abatement and an increase in my energy levels, to go along with my increased appetite. In the next 3 months I'm supposed to put on something like 60% of all the weight I'm due to gain, so that'll be interesting. Already I've had to get some bigger pants, since all my usual ones are just tight enough about the waist to be uncomfortable when I sit at my desk for long stretches of time. It's not so bad though. I've had to put away quite a few shirts as well, as my chest has decided it would like to expand significantly faster than the rest of me. I'll say no more about that. ;)

At the end of the month we'll get to go in for ultrasound number two, at which time there's a fairly good chance they'll be able to tell us whether the critter in there is a little Tom of a little Sue. So that's exciting. I generally like surprises just fine, but this is one of those times when I would like to know in advance what we can expect. Not in the sense of whether I should stock up on pink things or blue ones, because I don't plan on doing that anyway, but I feel like we'll both be able to make a better connection to the kid if we can call him/her by name before the birth. Sounds kind of silly when I actually write it out like that, but there it is.

All right, that's probably enough for now, yeah? You can feel free to ask specific questions of either Tom or me in the comments, if there's yet more you're dying to know. ;)

9 comments:

Amy said...

Here's a question: Will you please inform me the day that you crave pickles and ice cream? I'm just curious if it actually happens...

Momentary Academic said...

I don't want to say anything but that I am really proud of you. You're handling this like a pro! (not that I would know, but you know what I mean.)

Megan said...

See? Even your non-family member blog readers dig this stuff. I love hearing about this. It fascinates me so. Since I might never experience it myself, I'll learn about it through you.

susan said...

Amy - Yep, I promise I will let you (and the whole of the internets) know if/when that day arrives.

MA - I've not met any professional broodladies, so I have no idea how they handle all of this. ;) But thank you for your kind words. :)

susan said...

Megan - Never say never, girl. You seem like you'll be a terrific mom someday, and you'd better believe all your loyal readers will want to hear about it when it's your turn, too. :)

Megan said...

Hon, thanks for the encouragement, but that was a different Megan. I am still planning on being a terrific Mom, and telling my loyal readers, one way or another.

susan said...

Megan (#2) - I was actually talking to the other Megan. ;) But the same goes for you, of course! Really, I know way too many Megans. I might need to start identifying you all differently in the comments...

susan said...

I'm thinking about going with Water Megan, Teacher Megan, Farmer Megan, and Auntie Megan. Y'all ought to be able to figure out which one you are. ;) Any objections?

Megan said...

That is an awful lot of Megans. I'm three for four of them! (If you count gardening as farming.)