Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Week 22

This week the little feller is "about 7 1/2 inches from crown to rump and weighs between 13 and 16 ounces - about the size of a small grapefruit." Other developmental details: "His fingernails are almost fully grown, and his organ systems are becoming more functional and specialized. He has a distinct pair of lips, and his first canines and molars are developing from hard tissue below the gum line. He looks like a miniature newborn." I am also informed that blood is traveling through the umbilical cord at 4 mph. Interesting!

As far as what's going on with me, I definitely have an identifiably pregnant belly now. I'm not huge, but there's no denying I've got something growing in there. Most nights I wake up sometime in the wee morning hours for a bathroom run hobble; if I'm unlucky, I have a rough time going back to sleep thereafter, which is no fun. Fortunately, I'm only unlucky in this manner a few times a week at most. The second trimester has been generally good to me - no more nausea, less exhaustion, as promised. I still only feel the little guy kicking sometimes, and only from the inside (that is, if I put my hand on my belly when I feel him moving around, his movement doesn't translate through all the padding of fluid and tissue such that I can feel it from the outside yet). And no, I haven't had any weird cravings. Sorry to disappoint, but the pickles and ice cream are still items to be enjoyed separately, as far as I'm concerned. Cheese and chocolate, on the other hand...well, I've always believed those two things were meant for each other, pregnancy or no pregnancy. ;)

Back to the thesis mines! More again soon! Whee!

3 comments:

madre said...

Your very own mini-me!!! The time is going by so fast thanks to your informative and amusing updates. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

YaYa & Buddy said...

Now we're REALLY talking!!! My heart skipped a beat with "miniature newborn"...too, too sweet xoxoxoxox
Many thanks for the updates. Love & Hugs to the three of you.
Great Yaya & Buddy

susan said...

You're telling me it's going by fast! ;)