Monday, May 05, 2008

Cinco de Mayo

Today is quite the day. Today, Soren is 4 weeks old, and Yaya is 75 years young. Happy birthday, Yaya! Happy 4 weeks in the world, Soren!

My parents were down for a visit this weekend. Yaya & Gram Gram were here too, and everyone had a grand old time fawning over this little boy of ours. Many photos were taken (some by me, even more by them), and we were treated to delicious foods every day. I'm really glad they were able to come. :) (And not just because of the delicious foods.)

So, another week. Soren is growing so fast. He's up above 11 pounds now, and he's getting really good at holding his head up for little bits at a time. Strong like bear, that boy is! He hasn't settled into a definite pattern of sleeping and wakefulness; it still varies pretty widely, day by day. But he's getting more fun and interactive when he's awake (and not upset about something). He has his fussy periods, for sure, and we're getting the hang of how to deal with them. We've started introducing a bit of sign language into his daily life (signs for [diaper] change, milk, and "all done" so far), even though it's still pretty early for him to even begin to comprehend it. Just like the rest of his language acquisition, it'll take time, but the claim is that babies can physically sign before they can physically talk, and I'm all for giving him any communication tools we can, as early as possible.

All right, that's it for now. Going to make myself some lunch while the little boy is sleeping. Happy day, all. :)

7 comments:

ml said...

interesting on the signing. are you using traditional american sign language? or just making up your own?

susan said...

Standard ASL.

ml said...

at what age do babies typically start talking?

MC raised to the power of two said...

I've seen many babies using sign language in the last couple years. The parents seem to think it makes them less frustrated because they can "voice" their needs.

At my optometrist, there was a baby with healthy snacks in different shapes and colors (presumable flavors too, but I didn't ask to try). He would sign fish, or purple, no more, etc. Very impressive. I was able to talk a little while as both of our (the mom's and mine) were adjusting to the eye drops they put in.

Several babies I've seen use the milk sign, or as I like to say the milk command. It always seems so insistent and graphic.

My quad-mate (we have four person cubicles, we call quadicles, but I guess quibicles would work nicely), is doing basic ASL with his son. So far just mama and dada and milk.

Anyway, I think it's a very good idea.

Sara said...

It worked wonders for "little Jack"!! :)

Marcy said...

From an OT perspective it's pretty widely used in pediatrics and seems to work well. not sure about the research behind it, but i'm sure theres some out there.

susan said...

ML - Speech development varies pretty widely of course, but my understanding is that most kids are at the "mama, dada" stage by about 9 months.

mc^2 - Yeah, really the frustration reduction is the greatest draw, for me. If Soren can communicate his needs without things elevating to a total meltdown ("Damn it woman, diaper! I need my diaper changed! I know you just changed it ten minutes ago and think I can't possibly need it again so soon, but I do!"), that would be good. ;)

Sara - I still haven't seen that movie. Gonna have to add it to the Netflix queue.

Marcy - Yeah, there's definitely an increasing amount of research on it, especially in the past few years. Certainly seems promising.