Tuesday, July 01, 2008

My hair, it's everywhere

I'd heard about this. It's apparently pretty common for women to have beautiful, shiny hair - that almost never falls out - during pregnancy, and then at around 3 months post-partum, it's like someone released the proverbial hounds. You just start shedding like crazy. Before I got pregnant, my hair fell out pretty readily. (I read somewhere else that the average person loses 80 hairs a day, but if I had to guess, I'd say my loss average was about twice that.) Then along came the pregnancy hormones, and - what do you know? - almost no hair ever got left behind in my brush. It didn't fall out by the fistful when I took a shower. It was pretty great.

After Soren was born, up until about 2 weeks ago, I remained a hair-retaining superstar. Then one day I noticed I was losing more than my new normal amount. Pretty soon I was back up to my pre-pregnancy loss rate. And now? I'm worse than the cats. Hairs in the brush, hairs in the sink, hairs clinging to the back of the couch, hairs in the car, hairs on the baby...it's getting rather out of hand. If it keeps up like this, Soren may have more hair than I do by the end of the year!

1 comment:

ml said...

the hair thing is really weird! who knew! im sure you'll reach some sort of equilibrium soon.