Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I am occasionally a good cook

On Tuesday mornings there's a farmers' market just down the block from our apartment. I've been meaning to stop by there for a while, but they're only open til 1pm, and I'm usually barely conscious by then. Plus, I so rarely carry any cash, and I keep forgetting to get some during the day on Monday. However, yesterday morning the young sir decided that he'd like to be awake at 10:30, and after about 20 minutes of failed attempts to coax him back to sleep, I decided I might as well take the opportunity to go check out the market.

We got some cash from the bank and walked on over to the little row of flower and produce stalls. Soren drew plenty of attention on account of his brand new, super adorable baby sunglasses (photos to follow later today, hopefully). We made a pass up through the row to peruse the goods and made our purchases on the way back down. Green beans (two varieties), tomatoes, avocados, sweet corn, zucchini, yellow sunburst squash, strawberries, raspberries, a watermelon and a canteloupe made their way into the stroller. Once we got back home, we had another nap, and then I set about figuring out what to make for dinner.

I settled on stuffed squash & green beans. I followed this recipe for the squash (stuffing is made up of bacon, onion, squash guts, bread crumbs & parmesean cheese). It was fairly easy to do, and it was so frigging delicious. I mean...yeah. Yumzors with a capital Y. A++++, will make again. I was extraordinarily pleased with how the dish turned out.

For the green beans, I followed a recipe from one of our cookbooks. This recipe also called for bacon & onion, and I opted to add some crushed garlic as well. The instructions were to saute the bacon & onion, add the beans, cover the whole thing with water & simmer for 2 hours, add a couple of tablespoons of sugar, then simmer for another half hour. I'm pretty sure I added way too much water, because everything looked and smelled extremely promising before I put the water in, but after cooking it was kind of flavorless & soggy. Disappointed! But Tom came to the rescue and salvaged the dish, draining off the water & cooking everything down just a little. The flavors all came back, and it was almost as tasty as the stuffed squashes. Yay!

Later I'm going to attempt a delicatessen-style green bean salad with the other green beans I got & the zucchinis. I will let you know how that goes!

4 comments:

Amy said...

We made a veggie stir fry the other night and sauted the veggies in olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes...delic!!!

susan said...

Sounds very tasty, indeed.

madre said...

For my green beens, I sautee bacon and onions with a little garlc and black pepper, add the beans and some chopped tomatoes and let them simmer, covered for about half an hour. My mom used to make them this way and it was always presented to us as "Italian green beans". Kudos on your creative cooking skills!!!

susan said...

The recipe I followed was called "Grandma's Green Beans." I guess grandmothers like bacon in their beans? Or something? ;) At any rate, it's fun to make new stuff, and gratifying when it actually turns out well.