Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Six Weeks to a Stronger Me

Soren's a few days away from being 4 months old. My post-partum recuperation period is long over. It's time to get back to the gym.

But who among us (we, the vampire shift-working, sleep deprived, infant-entertaining new mothers) has the time? Much though I would love to get back to swimming or (gasp) even running, it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon. Even my (nearly) daily campus walks have been abbreviated lately, due to the warm summer temperatures. So what's a girl with limited self-discipline to do?

Well, last week I read about this 100 Pushups Challenge thing. It's a training program that, over the course of six weeks, allegedly works you up to being able to complete a hundred pushups in a row. Okay, I figured, I can spend 10 minutes every other day doing some pushups in the living room while Soren naps or plays in his jumpy swing. It's worth a shot.

I didn't bother to do the initial endurance test; I know I'm out of shape, and all the baby presses* in the world aren't enough to prepare me for a bunch of full pushups. So I started off at the lowest level and completed the first day's assignment - four sets of two pushups, with one-minute rests between sets, and a fifth set of as many pushups as you can do, as long as it's more than three. (I did five.) I'm not ashamed to say I was winded by even this small exertion. I know I'm out of shape; this is why I'm starting some sort (any sort) of exercise program. Overall though, it wasn't too difficult. I managed to get through the sets without collapsing or anything, so that's good.

The next day, I was sore. All over. Really sore. Not sore like I'd pulled a muscle or anything, just sore like I'd had a proper workout. Sore arms, sore chest, sore belly, sore back...all the muscles I haven't had to really use for many months. I figured this was a good sign that the pushups really do work fairly comprehensively.

I did the second day's assignment on Sunday. Four pushups in the first set, then three, then two, then two more, then "max", with 90 seconds' rest in between sets this time. (I maxed out at 10.) Monday I wasn't nearly as sore as I'd been after the first day's workout. This evening I'll do more. I'm hoping that blogging about it will provide me with some extra incentive not to wimp out. Here goes nothing!

*Like bench presses, only using a smiling 16 pound boy instead of a big metal bar.

3 comments:

ml said...

the pushup workout sounds interesting. maybe you should get one of those sporty strollers and take soren out running?

susan said...

Those sporty strollers are so bulky, is the thing. The trunk of our car's pretty full as it is.

Bethany said...

good for you! I wish I could find the time to get more exercise. I barely have time to eat. But hey, maybe that's another way to lose the baby weight...