Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mom should get a kick out of this, at least

Last Friday, I was out shopping for dinner fixings and was listening to NPR in the car. Our local affiliate was running a blurb about the annual Sound of Music singalong, held at the Hollywood Bowl. Apparently, Charmian Carr (Liesl from the movie) has been leading these events for the past 8 years, as well as judging the costume contest. She was talking about how the costumes have gotten more and more elaborate over the years.

This person, because I couldn’t tell if it was a male or a female, came on stage with little tiny black balloons. They were blown up really small and they were glued to her entire body, or his entire body. And I pride myself on being able to guess so many costumes ‘cause I’ve done so many sing-alongs. I didn’t have a clue. And so I said, “Who are you?”

“I’m the lonely goat turd.”
One of my company's new products is a folic acid softgel. Remember the jelly bean-looking vitamins I wrote about before? Well these ones are brown. And on a night like tonight, when I'm running short on sleep, I have to remind myself that though they may look like delicious chocolates, they most certainly do not taste like delicious chocolates, and that plucking one off the production line and popping it into my mouth would be extraordinarily ill-advised.

After hearing the NPR blurb though, I have a new - far less palatable - thing to which I can liken these little suckers. And when I move on to continue the rest of my rounds, I'm humming "The Lonely Goatherd" under my breath.

2 comments:

ml said...

i think that is HILARIOUS!

madre said...

Why have we never gone??? :)