Wednesday, September 17, 2008

New Year in September

I love the fall. I love the freshness in the morning - yes, even here - and the way everything cools down in the evening. I love the breezes, the fog, the first smatterings of rain. There's something so energizing and refreshing about the season, which is perhaps a bit counter-intuitive, what with the plants losing their foliage in preparation for winter and all.

Tom made a good point a few years back. This sense of renewal we get in the fall, the feeling of a fresh start, has so much to do with the beginning of a new school year. As a little kid, I loved school. Even in middle & high school, when this love was dulled a bit by social awkwardness and boredom, I never lost that beginning-of-the-year optimism. Fall meant a fresh start, new challenges, new adventures.

It also meant we were done with the blazing heat of late summer. Down here the heat lingers a bit longer, but it's no longer 90 degrees by 9am. When I leave work in the morning the cool air feels refreshing and pleasant. Sometimes the fog shelters me from the blinding sun as I drive home. Mid-afternoon still feels like summer, most days, but the mornings hold fall's promise - cooler days are on the way.

4 comments:

MC Squared said...

Well... at least your tags are getting funnier.

Lord Chimmy said...

I used to like the swooshing piles of leaves made as I walked to school. But, that was NE Ohio. Don't get much leave swooshing down here in VA. Maybe it is because I don't walk to school anymore.

susan said...

I've had that weather tag for a while. Just don't use it that often.

amy said...

Is it fall? I wouldn't know...