Thursday, October 02, 2008

Defending the Title

Looking at the situation objectively, I can only say that it was bound to happen eventually. Doesn't make it any better, though.

When I get home in the mornings, Soren's usually hungry for some breakfast, so I pull him out of his crib and settle him in the bed beside me to nurse. Then we doze for a few (or, if he's feeling generous, several!) hours. Eventually he starts wiggling around and talking to himself, and I wake up, and we start our day. And since he's started becoming more proficient with the rolling over, I am usually very good about setting up a protective pillow barricade if I keep him in the bed with me instead of transferring him back to the crib after he's eaten.

You can probably see where this is going.

This morning I fell asleep without (a) putting him back in the crib or (b) blocking the edge of the bed with pillows. I was jolted awake some 3.5 hours later to a thump and immediate wailing. Jesus. The only thing that would have been worse is if he'd fallen off the other side of the bed and landed on the bottle warmer or (god forbid) the nightstand, and holy shit I don't even want to think about that possibility. And because he wiggled off while still asleep, it took several minutes to get him to wake up all the way and even be anywhere close to consolable. It was horrible.

Ultimately of course he's fine. No worse for the wear, no injuries, was his usual happy smiley self again within 10 or 15 minutes. Babies are resilient, I know. Doesn't make me feel any less guilty.

Less than 2 minutes after I'd finally gotten him comforted and settled, there was a knock at the door. It actually crossed my mind that someone might have heard all the crying and come to investigate, which is what made me actually go answer the door instead of reverting to the default assumption (mailman). It was not the mailman. It was the frigging FBI. (Well, not the whole bureau...) Specifically, it was the agent working on Tom's background investigation, asking which apartment belonged to the building manager. If he had heard Sir's lamentations he made no indication, so hopefully CPS won't be the next ones to come knocking.

Anyway.

How was your morning?

8 comments:

bethany said...

I'm glad he's okay. I hear it happens to everyone--just the other day someone said "when your baby falls off the changing table" to me...as if all babies fall off the changing table at one point.

susan said...

Oh geez. I will REALLY feel awful if he falls off the changing table! That's even higher up than the bed.

madre said...

I believe when these things happen, it's a small lesson learned ( with enough fright and gulit thrown in) to avoid a MUCH worse mishap. It goes in your book of "I must always remember to.." Having the freaking FBI show up will most certainly sear this in your brain forever!!! Love you, Mom

susan said...

It's true, I am fairly certain I won't make this mistake ever again. (I learned my lesson with the stroller and the front steps, after all! And I haven't clipped his fingertips again.)

Tom said...

We could put a 'boot' on him to keep him from geetting far ;)

susan said...

Ha. CPS, come quick! This baby's been clamped!

Anonymous said...

All our kids rolled off something, but the worst was siblings dropping each other...
and or catapult"accidents"...

Grandpa Johnson

MC Squared said...

Pretty sure all my siblings and I had a roll off something incident. I think Chrystal rolled off the changing table, which did way less damage then when I dragger her off the top bunk and sprained her arm. No need to convince the authorities you love your boy either, jut point them to your blog.