Friday, December 12, 2008

Balancing Acts

Soren's starting to learn how to stand on his own, without holding on to anything for support. He'll pull himself up on something, let go, and hover there for a second or two before plopping down again. I let him practice on the bed a lot, since the plopping is softer there. Every so often he manages to steady himself and stand for a good 5 or 6 seconds, usually with his feet braced wide apart. It's quite impressive!

I'm still managing, for the most part, to balance work and sleep and mothering. There are rough days, of course. Tuesday I got home in the morning, and no sooner had my head hit the pillow than the wee sir was standing up in his crib, babbling away at me, ready to start the day. He has a little glow seahorse that plays music, which manages to entertain him fairly well. I was able to sleep for as long as the music would go (about 5 minutes) before he'd start yammering again. Squeeze the seahorse, start the music, drift back off, wake up, squeeze the seahorse, etc. Eventually he drank the remainder of his night bottle and passed back out for about 45 minutes, but thereafter, it was naught but 10 and 20 minute naps for me over the course of the day.

I didn't go to work that night. The rest of the week has been somewhat better, sleep-wise. (Thank goodness.)

I've started an online class again, since I didn't have enough going on, I guess. ;) When I was working on my Masters, there weren't any classes available that dealt specifically with firearms examination, which is the area of forensics that particularly interests me. A week or so ago, I found a couple of online classes through West Virginia University's extension program - Introduction to Firearms & Toolmark Investigation and an IBIS course (Integrated Ballistics Identification System...like the fingerprint database only for bullets) - so I signed myself up for one. I'm taking the intro course now. It's intended as a continuing education type class for people already working in the field of forensics, but I figure whatever I can do to make myself a more attractive eventual candidate will be worth the effort, especially if I want to take a couple of years off to be Mom full-time once Tom graduates. I'll get a nice certificate of completion when I'm done...another thing to add to the resume. (I'll take the IBIS class as well, just a little later.)

So that's pretty cool.

3 comments:

ml said...

im impressed that you are adding an online class along with all of your other responsibilities. good luck!

also, so exciting about soren!

Bethany said...

Wow--standing on his own! Stella is starting to pull herself up, but she's not sturdy enough on her legs yet.

Good luck with the class! If it is something that you enjoy, I'm sure you find a way to make it all work.

susan said...

ML - Fortunately it's one of those "do at your own pace, no meeting times" sort of classes. So that helps!

Bethany - It's amazing how fast they go from just pulling up to cruising around on everything to trying to stand on their own. Ah, mobility!