Monday, December 29, 2008

Chicken corn chowder, for the win

Knowing of my newfound zeal for crock pottery, both Tom & Yaya gave me slow cooker recipe books for Christmas. Last night I modified a recipe from one of the books to make a fantastically delicious chicken corn chowder for dinner.

Ingredients
  • butter (1 tbsp)
  • 1/2 an onion, chopped
  • flour (2 tbsp)
  • broth (2.5 cups)
  • creamed corn (1 can)
  • misc vegetables - carrots, corn, green beans (1/2 bag, frozen)
  • frozen chicken thighs (several)
  • hot sauce (1-2 tsp)
  • shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2-3 handfuls)


Preparations
1. In a skillet, melt the butter & saute the onions. When the onions are soft, add the flour, stir well to coat.
2. Add the broth & stir until it starts to thicken. (I added a few heaping spoonfuls of sour cream at this point kind of on a whim, but I think the temperature was too high because it kind of curded up a little...I'd recommend skipping on the sour cream or maybe mixing it in later, but I don't think it really added anything to the recipe.)
3. Pour broth + onions into the crockpot. Add everything else except the cheese. Stir & cook for 4 hours.
4. About 30-60 minutes before it's done, add in the cheese & stir to mix well.

Not only was the soup delicious and slightly spicy, it was just the right amount for the two of us to eat for dinner without having half a pot of leftovers...a first in my crock potting experience! This is definitely one I'll make again.

Later today I'm going to attempt a beef stroganoff. Will let you know how that turns out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What size is your crockpot?
Yaya

susan said...

6 quarts, I believe