Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cornbread Conquered

Cornbread: 3
Sue: 1

After three failed attempts, I finally gave in and had Tom bring home some milk so I could try using that for cornbread (as specified by basically every cornbread recipe ever) instead of yogurt, sour cream, or water, which is what I'd tried thus far. Lo and behold, milk is apparently the secret ingredient. I've made the SuccessBread three times now, so I guess you could say the score is even, but I've followed the same recipe every time, so I'll just count it as one.

Ingredients
1 cup each - cornmeal, flour, MILK
1/3 cup each - melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar (though in my most recent attempt I backed off on the sugar and added a little honey instead...tasted just as sweet and delicious, and I'll probably back off further on the sugar next time) (Oh yeah, and you can use vegetable oil in place of the butter, if you're so inclined)
1 tsp salt
3.5 tsp baking powder

Preparation
Bake at 400 F for 25-30 min.

It's a crumbly, very sweet cornbread. Super delicious.

Next I want to try to make the corn mush like they serve at Mexican restaurants sometimes. I found a promising recipe yesterday, but I have to pick up some ingredients for it, so perhaps I'll try it later this week.

1 comment:

MC Squared said...

That corn mush is so good! I'm pretty sure there's no milk in that. Maybe.