Saturday, January 30, 2010

Shankopotamus


Day 297 / Day 22

The weather took a turn for the cold on Friday (not sure if it even broke 25 all day), so we stayed indoors. Soren was up earlier than usual again, and I guess two days of early rising caught up with him because at naptime he slept for almost three and a half hours. Whoo!

Friday also marked 3 weeks since Eleri's birth. I can't believe it's been 3 weeks already. She still feels so new!

It's been a while since I wrote about shanking (seriously...that post is almost 4 1/2 years old!). In the comments, there was some conjecture as to the existence of a shanking gene. If indeed one exists, it would seem our wee lass has inherited it. Before she was born, she frequently kept me awake late into the night with her kicking and flailing and hiccuping. And even though there were a couple of nights this week when she fell asleep before midnight, for the most part she's continuing to stick to her late night shenanigans. I call it the Eleri Johnson Party Hour, though that's completely a misnomer (definitely not a party, and usually way more than an hour in duration).

Friday night was worse than usual. She was awake and largely unhappy from about 10pm until well after 1am. Bubbles in the belly seem to be the major culprit in her unhappiness, but why they bother her so much more at night than they do during the day is beyond me. Fortunately, once she finally does succumb to sleep, she's pretty much out for the night. She'll wake me up a couple of times - grunting a little, not screaming - for a snack, but then she'll go right back to sleep. So that's nice, at least. We just need to get her shanking under control because let me tell you, after a long and tiring day, a 2 or 3 hour intermittent crying jag is most definitely not at the top of my wish list.

Of course, as I type this, it's a little after 11pm and she's passed out on Tom's chest like a little angel child, having commenced (and, obviously, completed) her shank-fest somewhat earlier than usual tonight. I should perhaps take advantage of this fact and get some sleep, myself.

Ach, I spoke (typed) too soon. She stirs. I think I'll wrap this up anyway, since I'm just kind of whining pointlessly at this...er...point. She really is a remarkably easy baby on the whole. And cute as the dickens. (Not, mind you, the Dickens.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eleri seems to be taking after Tom with the tummy trouble. His went away after he was one year old. Hopefully she will outgrow it much faster. What a beautiful pair of children you have!

Gramma Carrie Ann