Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Summertime in April (and the livin's easy)

Day 364

Day 89

It's been suddenly very warm this week. We were going along (quite happily, I dare say) with temperatures in the 60s and 70s, and then all of a sudden, it's been nearly 90. I suppose it's just as well that we've been staying indoors, trying not to further subject the world at large to our germtasticness, At least we don't have to feel too sad about not being outside in the hot.

On a related matter, I've been puzzling over how best to protect Eleri from the sun as it gets warmer. It seems downright unkind to dress her in long sleeves and pants, but she's too young for sunscreen (they say not to use it until 6 months of age). She has a hat to protect her face and neck, but as for the rest of I need to just start carrying a parasol around? I don't remember facing this problem with Soren, but I think we just weren't spending very much time outside. It's not as though he had an older sibling who would benefit from running around at the park.

I accidentally had the kids dressed alike for a short while on Tuesday. (Not that this is a bad thing; it just wasn't something I consciously chose to do.) Soren was wearing his little black soccer shorts, at after one of Eleri's diaper changes, I'd put a black cloth diaper on her. Unfortunately, all attempts to take cute brother-sister pictures were foiled by a certain lad who refused to stay still. ;) Ah well. There was much cuteness to be had when Leo settled himself on the floor next to Eleri and hung out with her for a little while.

Nap wars have been raging again. On Tuesday I put the gate across the doorway of Soren's bedroom and sat in there with him for a while, trying to stay hands-off but discourage him from jumping on his bed or playing with toys. After half an hour, he was showing absolutely no signs of being even the least bit inclined to sleep, so I gave up and left him to his own devices, taking a sleeping Eleri back out to the living room. Soren stood at the gate for a little while, yelling and crying, but eventually he gave up and went back to playing with his toys. He played quite happily by himself for another half hour before returning to the gate to cry again for hugs. Since he'd been in there for about an hour total, and it was getting to be pretty late in the afternoon, I went into his room with the intention of setting him free. But before removing the gate, I sat on the floor for a minute to honor the hug requests. Wouldn't you know it, the little stinker crawled into my lap and immediately passed out. At 4pm. Yippee.

In other news a certain aforementioned stinker had a birthday today. He enjoyed his gifts and birthday brownies immensely. Photos and a full report on the morrow!


Anonymous said...

Wow, a big three year old boy! I hope he likes his book.

It's is amazing how each baby is such an individual, with all their own quirks.

Gramma Carrie Ann

susan said...

He's an even bigger two year old boy! ;) He loves his books. Thank you very much!