Thursday, May 20, 2010

Potty training is for suckers


Day 42


Day 132

So, Soren's two now. He's 25 months, actually. We're obviously not going to be super pushy with him, but it's really time to start making some more headway with the potty training. I know, I know, it'll happen when he's ready, no one goes off to college still in diapers, yada yada. But you know what? He's also not going to spontaneously figure it all out (there's a reason they call it training), so we've got to start somewhere.

Peeing on the "big boy toilet" has been part of his pre-bedtime routine for a long while now. He's great about it. And sometimes during the day he'll actually ask to go pee in the "blaploom" (it's like the bathroom, only cuter), having not yet wet his diaper, which is awesome. More often, though, he's having far too much fun running around and playing to care about the state of his pants. As such, we've yet to manage the elusive "poop on the potty" milestone.

Without getting too disgusting, I'll just say that at one point on Wednesday morning, it seemed like we were going to have a perfect opportunity to take this next step. Eleri was napping, the timing was right, so I asked Soren if he wanted to go have potty time, and he agreed. And I figured, well, it's got to happen sometime, so maybe if we just sit and wait and wait and wait (and wait) we'll get lucky.

So we sat. We sang songs, we read books, we watched about 10 or 12 They Might Be Giants music videos on the iPod. And after 40 unproductive minutes, we'd both had enough. I was dreading the (likely, I thought) possibility that I'd be changing his diaper again less than 10 minutes after potty time ended, but he surprised me by not needing a change until much later in the afternoon. (Well, I mean, a change for something other than simple wetness.) So maybe he didn't have to go after all? I don't know. At any rate, I suppose this is going to end up taking quite a while. Yippee.

Eleri had some sitting up in the Bumbo time later in the evening. Many giggles resulted. It was super adorable.

No comments: