Wednesday, June 02, 2010

And then for the second day there were naps, and it was good.


Day 56


Day 146

I slept a whole lot better last night. Thank goodness! Poor Soren, however, continued to run a fever overnight and throughout the day today, so there was no mall walking for us this morning. The lad and I took it easy in the morning while Eleri slept. We practiced some more with wearing the big boy underpants (well, he wore them and practiced, not me). It wasn't a super successful endeavor this time. He's been doing pretty well the past few days, but I think maybe today his concentration just wasn't fully there, even though he seemed interested. He really likes waiting for the "potty noise" (alarm I set on the iPod to indicate when it's time to go sit on the toilet again), but I think he doesn't yet have the physical ability to voluntarily stop going once he starts, and I'm really at a loss as to how to teach that particular skill. Fortunately, we're not in any rush with the potty training, and he's doing pretty well so far, so we'll just take it as it comes.

In a fit of brilliance madness, I decided right around lunchtime (a.k.a. damn near the hottest part of the day) that it was time to venture out for groceries. Hot and hungry, my favorite combination! Luckily, it wasn't too bad in either regard; it was warm, but not intolerably so, and I wasn't so famished that I bought a bunch of unnecessary foodstuffs. Soren surprised the heck out of me by wearing his sun hat and sunglasses the whole time we were out (even indoors). He was complimented many times for his cuteness. ;)

I have to say, I'm getting a little annoyed with this whole McNeill recall thing. They messed up a bunch of children's Tylenol and Motrin, and even though it "supposedly" wasn't a serious health threat, they recommended consumers toss out whatever they had left over in the medicine cabinet, and of course it's been pulled from all the store shelves. There are, I guess, other companies who manufacture generic versions of acetaminophen and ibuprofen (for kids), so some stores have those in stock, but a lot of stores don't. I managed to find some acetaminophen a few weeks ago, but since Soren's had this fever the past couple of days, I thought I'd seek out some more Motrin (or equivalent) today, since ibuprofen seems to do a better job on bringing down fevers. So, the recall was initiated on April 30th. It's now more than a month later, and they still aren't getting product out to stores. I'm sure they're doing extended quality control testing or something, and I would rather they not cut corners, but sheesh. I also want to be able to control my kid's fever! I'm glad he hasn't been running a super high temperature because that could be pretty scary; we've done that one before, and I've no interest in a repeat performance, thankyouverymuch.

Speaking of repeat performances, though, imagine my shock and excitement when Soren settled himself down for a nap on the couch, again all on his own, this afternoon! And unlike yesterday's short nap, today he slept for a full hour. AND wasn't very difficult (per Tom's report) at bedtime. I'm sorry you feel sick, little dude, but these naps are seriously fantastic. If there's any way you could keep it up even after you're feeling better...okay, I'm getting ahead of myself, I know...but man, that would be sweet.

Somewhere in the course of the day, I managed to twist my knee in such a way that it was bothering me throughout the afternoon. By the time Tom got home from work, it was still uncomfortable (not swollen or anything, just feels like a ligament is somewhere it shouldn't be, like I need to "pop" it but can't). So I skipped my run for the evening and hit the outdoor pool instead, planning to read my book in the cold jacuzzi for as long as I could stand it. And wouldn't you know it? The temperature of the outdoor pool this year is much more pleasant than it was last year! I guess the decision not to drain and refill it a couple of weeks before opening weekend was a good one. We are definitely going to have to take advantage of that pool some more this summer.

One last quick note (as this post has already dragged on much longer than I intended). In the past 2 or 3 days, Eleri has become a champion back-to-front roller. She's all speedy and efficient. She seems to have forgotten how to roll front-to-back though, which is odd, considering she figured that one out first. Go figure! She's a funny little girl-o though, chilling on the play mat several times a day. Cutester.

No comments: