Monday, June 21, 2010

Fried things and Father's Day

Saturday:

Day 73


Day 163

Saturday was hot. Summer'd been kind of teasing us up to this point, giving us a few warm and muggy days, followed by some cooler ones, with some thunder storms thrown in for good measure. This weekend, though, Summer apparently decided it was time to put up or shut up, since temperatures jumped up into the 90s and are expected to stay there at least for the forseeable future.

Because of the heat, my riding instructor opted to take us on a trail ride, since it's about 15 degrees cooler in the woods than in the arena. It was a nice ride, and I even got to hop the pony I was on over a couple of tiny logs. I wouldn't mind getting to do more of that!

I re-made the mint lime quinoa salad Friday night, with a slight adjustment in method. Instead of chopping up all the ingredients by hand, I threw everything in the food processor and basically made a sauce, which I mixed into the quinoa. Then I put the salad in the fridge overnight. It came out really well!

Saturday evening we went over to A's house for dinner, where the menfolk deep fried a duck, some chicken legs, and some Pillsbury biscuits. These we ate with the quinoa salad, and it was quite the tasty feast! Before dinner, Soren & A ran around through the sprinkler in the backyard. Ah, the perks of summertime.


Day 74


Day 164

Eleri was a sleep champion this weekend. She slept all night, Friday and Saturday. And I'm not just talking the "through the night" infant metric of five or so hours. Friday night she slept for 9 1/2 hours, and Saturday night she slept for over 10! I can think of only one, maaaaybe two times when Soren's ever slept that long. And she's not sick, just growing! (And napping a fair bit less during the day, of late.)

So Sunday was, of course, Father's Day. Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there, not least my own! :) Tom got to celebrate it with lots & lots of World Cup soccer watching. Eleri & I ventured out into the hot day to pick up groceries and Chipotle for lunch while the boys stayed home and vegetated.

In the evening, Eleri managed to wriggle her way up on to her hands and knees for one brief moment, before crashing forward and landing on her nose. I'm not ready for her to be crawling yet! Unfortunately, I don't think I've got much say in the matter.

No comments: