Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's pronounced keen-wah, not kin-noah

Saturday:

Day 66


Day 156

Ah, lovely Saturday, with its four glorious kid-free hours (for me) in the morning and its horsing and its Chipotle for lunch and (this week) its World Cup soccer-watching. There were only two of us in my riding lesson this time, so N had us practice some skills on the longe line. We worked on transitions (walk to trot, trot to walk, walk to canter, canter to trot), just using our body position, without reins or stirrups to help us out. It's been a good long while since I did exercises like those, and though I was a bit rusty, I think I did all right. The trickiest exercise was doing trot to walk transitions while rotating our arms like a windmill, which was supposed to get us to use our seat independently. But it's definitely tough to concentrate on maintaining a rhythmic arm motion when the rest of your body wants to be still.

Back at home, we watched the U.S. manage to tie England in their first match of this World Cup. Tim Howard, our goal keeper, made some pretty impressive saves to keep England from outscoring us. (She said, as though she had any authority on the subject.)

After the game I gave Soren a haircut. He's funny; he calls the clippers the "hair vacuum," since they make a noise similar to the vacuum cleaner. Goof ball.

Sunday:

Day 67


Day 157

Today we had plans to go over to Chris & Sarah's for lunch, and I made a quinoa salad with lime & mint. I've never made quinoa before, and I managed to overcook it a bit, so it was a tad mushy but still tasted pretty good. Tom asked on our way out the door if I'd remembered to check their address, to plug into our GPS, and I said (all confidently), "Nah, it's fine, I know how to get there." It's one of those things I'm usually pretty good at; go somewhere a couple of times, and the directions are plotted on the virtual map in my head, as long as it's not toooo complicated. Famous last words.

I took a wrong turn, knew immediately it was wrong, but figured I could adjust our route accordingly and still end up approximately where we needed to go. 'Twas not to be, unfortunately. I got us all turned around, straying much further north and west than we had to be, eventually having to backtrack all the way back to the freeway and essentially start over. So that was fun. I got it right, eventually, but we were half an hour late. Soren fell asleep in the car while we tried to find our way, and Eleri (oh thank you Eleri, seriously) cooed happily all the while. It would have been even more stressful and frustrating if she'd been screaming and fussing. Fortunately, our friends didn't seem to mind our tardiness too much, and we had a very nice picnic lunch and visit. Soren laughed and laughed and laughed watching their cat perform some very acrobatic leaps to get his little mouse toys.

Chores, shopping, reset to start another week in the morning.

No comments: