Thursday, June 10, 2010

Single Momming It


Day 63


Day 153

Living where we do, I'm acquainted with quite a few military families through the playgroup. Dealing with both kids on my own for a few days while Tom's away at a conference has nothing on the women whose husbands are away on deployment for months and months and months. I'm not even going to begin to pretend my situation is anything like theirs, or that of any of the other long-term single parents out there. I know I'm incredibly lucky to have such a supportive and helpful child rearing partner. The above post title is just me being glib. Glib, I say!

So Tom left for his 3-day conference Tuesday night after the kids were in bed. He had a few hours' drive ahead of him, so the smart course of action was to drive up the night before and beat the traffic. Wednesday was pretty much like any other day until the evening rolled around. We went stroller walking at the mall. It was raining outside, so the indoor play area was absolutely lousy with small children. Since Soren is juuuuust over his nasty cold, I opted not to stick around and let him play in the giant petri dish after we were done walking.

After lunch, I put Eleri down for a nap in her crib, and then Soren & I fell asleep on the couch. The three of us slept for 3+ hours! Talk about eating up a chunk of your day. I was so worried that bedtime was going to be a horrible battle and was really surprised (and glad!) that it didn't take hours and hours for Soren to settle down and fall asleep.

Before bedtime, we got to video chat with Tom a little bit, which was nice. Soren, who has gotten used to watching for Tom's bus in the afternoon, kept asking, "Daddy take a bus?" Aw. We miss him, but we'll have him back here on Friday, and it's nice to see him online in the meantime.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing great! Do I see the beginnings of tiny teeth in E's sweet mouth??? Yaya & Buddy

susan said...

Nope. Must just be sheens of drool ;)

ACJC said...

When I first looked at that picture of Soren, it looked like he was playing an acoustic guitar :)

*Desi*Ferguson* said...

Eleri looks JUST like you, Susan.

susan said...

Amy - I could see that.

Desiree - At some point pretty soon here I'll bust out the baby photo comparison. She does look an awful lot like I did at that age.