Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Hawter


Day 91


Day 181

Another day, another playdate. The family who was hosting everyone today has this lovely, large townhome. There were two train sets in the basement, a rather elaborate play kitchen in the real kitchen, and a slide in the living room. It was touch and go for a little bit there whether Soren was ever going to let us leave. ;)

Eleri's getting up into crawl position more and more often when she's playing on the floor. Today she took a couple of "steps" in reverse. Soren's first bit of crawling was done backwards too, as I recall, and from what I hear from other parents, that's actually pretty common. I know I keep saying it, but it really won't be long now til she's mobile enough to be trouble. Hehe.

Day 2 of Week 5 of the Couch-to-5k was tough, but I managed. I even did a few short sprints, though in hindsight it was probably too much. Day 3 (the 20 minute run) is going to have to be handled much more conservatively. It's hard to not push it though, when I'm running on the treadmill. I see the numbers. I have distance data and speed data and a timer. I start thinking, Well, I can push it for 2 more minutes/one more minute/30 more seconds. Maybe if I go super fast for 15 seconds, then back it off a little for the next 15, then drop back to baseline... and before long I'm panting and telling myself, That was a bad idea! Idiot! I know, I know, who gives a crap how far or fast I go? If my heart rate's up and I'm breaking a sweat, that should be good enough. I'm not actually training for a race or anything. (Real 5k outside with elevation changes and ground that doesn't push my feet along? Thank you, no.)

Anyway.

Soren is 27 months old today. His potty training book (My Big Boy Potty) claims that most kids are potty trained by 28 months. Hahahaha! Obviously that's an average; some train sooner, some later, boys generally later than girls, yada yada yada. But man. I definitely don't see us hitting that max point in the bell curve, that's for sure. It's okay, of course. He'll get there all in good time. All of us moms in the playgroup are starting to go through it now, though, since our kids are similar in age. At the playdate today there was quite a bit of swapping of "potty war" stories. Sounds like it's only going to get worse before it gets better. Wheeee.

That's about all for today. Tomorrow we have a slight chance of thunderstorms, and it may cool off just a wee bit. That'd be nice!

No comments: