Sunday, July 25, 2010

Well. Thank goodness that's over with.

Day 107

Day 197

Friday was not fun. I could be diplomatic and say it was a trying day. I could be blunt and say it straight-up sucked. However you want to dress it up, it was not a peach of a day.

Both of the little weasels are teething. Ergo, both are uncomfortable and cranky. Obviously, this is no fault of theirs, but it's still unpleasant. Both are excreting rivers of snot from their noses. And on Friday morning, Soren woke up with a hacking cough. Blame for the cough could very likely be placed on the aforementioned nasal effluence, but I thought it wise to stay home from preschool on the off chance that he might actually have picked up a cold. (The little savages typically run around sharing cups and eating from communal snack bowls, so the risks of transmission are a little higher on a preschool day than on a regular playgroup day.)

Tubercular sounding cough aside, Soren seemed fine. Chipper. Energetic. And staying home all day made him a little stir-crazy. Eleri, for the vast bulk of the day, was grumpy and near-inconsolable. Manic Soren and the Meltdown Queen. It was a really awesome combination.

It wasn't until very late in the afternoon that Eleri settled enough to play happily on the floor for a little while. But then she was quite content and entertained herself for about an hour before settling down for another nap. So that was good.

Another snippet of good (not from Friday, incidentally, but something I forgot to mention on Thursday): I'd just finished feeding Eleri, mid-afternoon, and she'd fallen asleep on the couch with me. Soren, who had been playing in his room, brought out a pillow and a blanket. He handed me the pillow to put behind my head and gently covered us with the blanket, giving Eleri a kiss on the arm. Sweetest. Boy. Ever.

Friday night was all kinds of awful. Eleri finally spiked a low-grade teething fever, and between that discomfort and the continued snottasticness, she was awake about every 2-3 hours overnight, which she barely even did as a newborn. Soren, too, woke up very sad several times. None of us got a lot of sleep.

But then it was Saturday, and things got a little better.

No comments: