Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Yay for federal holidays


Day 89


Day 179

Monday more or less took over the role of a Sunday on a normal weekend. Chores, errands, prepping for the week.

You may recall, I started this Couch-to-5k thing back at the end of May. After a couple of fits and starts, taking time off to try and heal the shin splints, I settled into a groove jogging on the treadmill. Monday I started week 5 of the program. In the first 4 weeks, you do the same sequence all 3 days of each week. You start off really slow, alternating between jogging for a minute and walking for 90 seconds. The next week you go a little longer, and by week 4 you're up to running 3 and 5 minutes at a time, again alternating, with walk breaks in between. Your total run time is 16 minutes, but not more than 5 minutes at once. Week 5 goes like this.

Day 1: Warm up (5 minutes), run 5 minutes, walk 3, run 5, walk 3, run 5, cool down (5 min)
Day 2: Warm up, run 8, walk 5, run 8, cool down
Day 3: Warm up, run 20, cool down

Yeah, I get that the difference between 16 minutes of jogging and 20 minutes of jogging isn't a hell of a lot. But the difference between 8 and 20? That's a fair bit. Over the last 2 weeks I'd been slowly increasing my speed again, adding some short sprints and basically doing only as much as my achy shins would allow without significant protest. The first day of week 5 was tough. I suspect tomorrow's going to be even tougher (even though I've easily run 8 minutes at a stretch before, and not even that long ago). Friday? I'm going to have to slow way the heck down just to get through it, I suspect. But I'll feel pretty accomplished afterward.

The last 4 weeks of the program, I'll be working toward a half hour run, which will only be a 5k if I can stay above 6 mph. I'm currently managing it, but with walk breaks at 4 mph; sustaining the speed will be trickier. I'll give it my best shot though!

What? I have kids? I suppose you'd like to hear about them, too. Eleri, in the last few days, has finally truly discovered the existence of the cats. And she is fascinated. She is absolutely in love with Leo. Poor sonofabitch got pummeled by her tiny legs flailing in excitement when he got close enough for her to reach him. He didn't run away though. He is patient, if not the brightest bulb in the onion patch. As for Soren, I've been trying to keep up with "tweeting" at least one quote a day of his, so there's that. He's a funny little guy.

No comments: