Sunday, September 05, 2010

Farm day, and return of the 5k


Day 148


Day 238

Friday we were all set to have a tour at Oxon Hill Farm with the playgroup. Unfortunately, when we got there, we discovered some sort of scheduling mishap had resulted in the cancellation of our reservation. This turned out to not be a total loss, as the park rangers were kind enough to accommodate our group as best they could, and the only thing we missed out on was the cow milking demonstration. The highlight for our tractor-crazy lad was the wagon ride anyway, and we were able to get prime seats for that, right up at the front of the wagon. He probably could have sat and stared at the back of that tractor quite happily for hours. We also got to see some day-old baby rabbits. Not a bad day at all!

Tom got out of work a bit early for the holiday weekend (yay!), and I ran 5k on the treadmill for the first time in over 2 weeks. I took it easy on the first and third kilometers and did short intervals (1/10th k each) for the second km and longer intervals (1/5th k each) for the last 2km. I set a new personal record - 29:44 - and with the intervals thrown in there, I didn't get too bored. ;) Pretty good for me.

Eleri's picked up a lovely new habit of expressing her displeasure for minor annoyances (e.g. plopping down on her butt from a standing position or having her diaper changed) with blood-curdling, eardrum-shattering shrieks. The neighbors must think I'm ripping out her toenails with my teeth or something similarly horrible. I am pretty sure that most of it is a matter of "hey, look what I can do with my vocal cords," but boy howdy. On the cuter side of the new noises spectrum, she spent some time one evening earlier this week just kind of quacking periodically. We were all hanging out in the living room, and she started going, "Ah!.....Ah!.....Ah!" Very silly.

No comments: