Thursday, September 16, 2010

On an island in the sun


Day 161


Day 251

This morning we met some playgroup folks over at Theodore Roosevelt Island, which is smack in the middle of the Potomac River. (Technically, we met them in the parking lot just off George Washington Memorial Parkway, as the island is only accessible by a footbridge.) I've been wanting to check out the island for a while, so I was pleased to have the opportunity. It was really beautiful, and quiet, and green. There are wide dirt paths, set well back from the river banks (and with a lot of underbrush in between), so we let the kids out of the strollers to run free for a while. First we made our way over to the bathrooms, or as I like to call them, the Daddy Longlegs Sanctuary. Holy effing shweddy balls, people. I have never seen the like. Literal clusters of spiders on the walls. It was a damned good thing I didn't have to pee, because I'm not sure I could have mustered the nerve to go inside, as it would have required walking underneath the spindly-legged garland above the door. I'm itchy now just at the memory of observing them from a good three to five feet away; I would no doubt be feeling phantom arachnids in my hair for a week if I'd had to risk walking where one might actually have dropped on me.

(Sorry for that, Mom. Just be glad it was me and not you.)

After our detour to Spiderville, we walked back to the Teddy Roosevelt Monument, passing along the way a variety of (two- and four-legged) critters - several squirrels, an assortment of small birds, and even a deer! At the monument, we settled on some benches and ate lunch, and then the kids ran and played some more. There were three other kids right around Soren's age, and a girl a couple of years older. It was kind of funny to watch her try to get them to play hide-and-seek. The 2 year-olds had absolutely no concept of the game. She'd start counting and tell them to go hide, but they would instead walk over to where she was counting or just wander off at random. She was getting so frustrated. I felt bad for her, but it was also hilarious. The difference between 2 and 4 is pretty big.

There's a whole big trail that goes all the way around the island, but we didn't do any more walking after lunch. (Half the moms in our group were pregnant, and I think they'd about hit their walking limit for the day.) I was content to head on back though, too. Soren was starting to get a little overdone, between the steadily warming day and all the running around, and though he didn't stay asleep once we got home, he did doze off in the car on the way.

Tomorrow we're hosting the preschool group at our apartment. It's not my turn to "teach," so Eleri and I may duck out for a bit so as not to be in the way. In any event, it should be interesting!

1 comment:

ACJC said...

That's pretty much my most vivid memory of Camp Cielo - a daddy longlegs crawled on my hand while I was using an outdoor drinking fountain. *shudder*