Tuesday, November 16, 2010

You can't stop the rain, but you might beat it and get some great photos outside before it starts


Day 221


Day 311

Soren went to playschool yesterday morning, where he got to show off his forehead bandage and regale all in attendance with the tale of his emergency room adventure. After we dropped him off, Eleri and I headed for the library. Into the tote bag this time: The Hours (by Michael Cunningham), Unseen Academicals (Discworld) (by Terry Pratchett), The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, 2 books about preschool crafts and science activities, and 3 books about different disciplinary methods for toddlers. (Time-outs are majorly sucking, these days, so we're in the market for a different approach.)

After we picked up Soren (who had a fabulous time at playschool, by all accounts), we made our way to the grocery store on our way home. As we were returning to our car with our purchases, there were 2 or 3 people anxiously milling around a van parked a few spaces over. One of them approached me and said, "There's a baby all alone in that van! What do you think I should do? Should I call the police, or go inside the store and have them try to page the owner of the vehicle?" (I suppose the fact that I was in possession of two small children at the time makes me an expert on these things.) I told the guy that, since it was neither a hot nor a very cold day, I doubted a call to the cops was necessary. This was almost certainly not a situation that indicated life-threatening danger to the child, so I thought the best first course of action would be to go try and have the van's owner paged. We've all read the newspaper stories about severely sleep-deprived new parents accidentally forgetting their (blessedly silent!) baby was sleeping in the back seat and leaving him/her in the car. (Of course, most of these stories do end tragically, or they wouldn't have made it into the newspaper, but as I said, the temperature was very mild yesterday.) Someone makes a legitimately innocent mistake, absent any obvious immediate danger, then there's no need to get the police involved.

As it happened, the man had no sooner walked away from me when a woman came trotting down the aisle toward us, bags in hand, receipt out and flapping, saying that it was her van, and she'd just had to run back to the curb for something (I missed the specifics, as she was rushing back to her car). The "Good Samaritan" bystanders proceeded to give her an earful about what a terrible mother she was, while she muttered an apology, quickly got in her car and drove away. The guy shouted after her, "You're sorry? Well I'm sorry for your child, who shouldn't be left alone in a car!" He looked over at me for validation or something, then gave me the "bitch be crazy" raised eyebrows look when I said something like, "Well, if she was just going back to the curb, and was never actually out of sight, I mean, is it really that bad?" Seriously, if it had been 105 degrees yesterday, I would not only have been on the phone to the cops myself, but I'd have personally busted a window in that van to get to the kid. But leaving a baby strapped in a locked car for 2 minutes on a mild day? Not necessarily the choice I'd have made under the same circumstances, but hardly worth freaking out about.

Anyway. Home we went. We got inside, had a bit of a sit-down, and then grabbed the camera and Soren's soccer ball and headed outdoors, to one of the grassy areas near our building. The sky looked like it was threatening rain, which made for some pretty great photo-taking light. The ground was a tad mushy, but both kids had an absolutely fantastic time frolicking about on the lawn. And, if I do say so myself, I managed to get quite a few cute shots.

And another thing. Technically, what I am about to show you shouldn't go in this post, since it was taken today and not yesterday. But since I'm not going to get today's post up tonight, I won't withhold this videotastic goodness from you.


As always, I sound like a total dork. And the footage is not great. But look at her go! From her first few steps last week, she's making quite a bit of progress every day. She's going to be toddling around here in no time at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that this is awesome- and scary at the same time. Having two
toddlers that are both ambulatory is daunting.

Grandpa J