Sunday, December 26, 2010

Thank you for your patience

And now, a glut of photos (some of which will be followed by a short story from the day or Captain Random snippet of detail...not all of 'em though, or we'd really be here all day). I'm like 3 weeks behind at this point, so this is going to be a long one. I recommend snack and potty breaks, if needed.

Here we go!


Day 241


Day 331
That's right. The last time I posted photos here, it was the day we took our Christmas card pictures.


Day 242


Day 332


Day 243


Day 333
The pediatrician recommended we get this liquid vitamin D3 for Eleri. It's lemon-flavored, and both the kids love it. Soren is sure to let us know when "it's time for elemon." Hehe. Eleri is also well trained at this point to open up her mouth and stick out her tongue when she sees us get out the dropper.


Day 244


Day 334
Soren's becoming quite adept at putting letter sounds together to figure out short words. He's not consistent by any stretch of the imagination, and he still loves to string together his letter cards into nonsense words ("E...O...U...R...Q...D...T...A...spells...! I need different letters!"). But if he's concentrating and possessed of the requisite patience, he can figure out 3- and 4-letter words remarkably well.


Day 245


Day 335
This was a Thursday. I know because it was the first time we availed ourselves of the Tuesday/Thursday open play session at the Barcroft Rec Center. It's the same place we went to watch Tom play indoor soccer; the same room, in fact. For two hours, the whole room is full of push toys and scooters and balls, and the kids can play with whatever they like. Soren and A ran around for a good hour and change, and even Eleri found some things to play with. Later in the afternoon, we had to go to the mall for something, and we stopped by the play area there before heading home. Eleri crawled all around and climbed on stuff. Crummy and blurry though this cell phone picture is, you can tell she's having a wonderful time.


Day 246


Day 336


Day 247


Day 337


Day 248


Day 338


Day 249




Day 250 / Day 340


Day 251


Day 341
It's like Soren has forgotten how to properly mug for the camera. Asking him to "smile" results in quite the scrunchy nosed grimace. It's actually pretty hilarious (and no, not super surprising).

In other news, this is one of my favorite pictures I've taken of Eleri, recently.


Day 252


Day 342
Snow day! We got a couple of inches of snow in the late morning, the first actual accumulation of the season. We were cooped up in the morning (a resurgence of coughs and snotty noses keeping us from our scheduled playgroup activities) but we all bundled up after lunch and went outside to play and explore. It was Eleri's first real experience with snow (I'm not counting February's snowpocalypse/snowmageddon, when she was all of a month old), and she was quite amused. We didn't stay out too long, but we had a good time.

Above, you can see Soren siting at the computer, doing one of his favorite things of late. Yaya sent us a digital advent calendar, which plays little animated videos for each day of the month. We've incorporated it into Soren's daily "screen time" allotment, and he thoroughly enjoys clicking though the different animations, revisiting his favorites every day. He is becoming quite proficient at using the mouse and can find and start both the calendar widget and his Hooked on Phonics game from the Start menu, all by himself.


Day 253


Day 343


Day 254


Day 344
This was a Saturday. I had my last riding lesson of the year in the morning, and then in the evening we went over to Max & Agnes's to eat tasty food with them and Alice. On the menu: choucroute with sausage and duck, veal osso bucco, broccoli, and some of the most marvelously delicious potatoes I've ever had in my life.

Before dinner, I took Max up on an offered Dogfish Ale World Wide Stout. Unfortunately, I forgot that this was the same kind of beer that I split a bottle of, last time. And sipped very slowly. Because this particular beer happens to contain 18% alcohol by volume. And doesn't happen to mention this fact on the bottle's label (only on the box). So as I say, I forgot all of these helpful facts and just drank the beer, before dinner, at the general speed at which one might consume a "normal" beer. Heh. By the time I figured out something was amiss, I was about 3/4 of the way through the bottle. We all had a good chuckle over my mistake.


Day 255


Day 345


Day 256


Day 346


Day 257


Day 347
The batteries on my dSLR died while I was taking food photos at Max's, so the next few days I used my point-and-shoot camera until I located my battery charger and charged up the dSLR's batteries. On this day, I'd let Soren play with the point-and-shoot for a while in the afternoon. This photo of Eleri is one of the ones he took, and I actually like it quite a bit!


Day 258


Day 348


Day 259


Day 349
Tom's been playing these YouTube Christmas Extravaganza videos for the kids. A couple of years ago, Wade Johnston asked some of his favorite YouTube artists to collaborate with him on a collection of Christmas songs, and this was the result. Among the artists involved: Soren's adored Pomplamoose. In the photo above, those giant Legos are Soren's headphones, and he's singing O Come All Ye Faithful. Of course, he doesn't really know the words, so "Christ the Lord" is sung as "Christolo." Hehe.


Of all the YouTube Christmas videos, Soren's favorite is probably this one, featuring Danielle Ate The Sandwich singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. He parrots the bit at the beginning off & on throughout the day while he's playing. It's pretty funny.



Day 260


Day 350
Christmas Eve! I actually managed to get Soren's stocking finished this year, attaching the front part of the stocking to the back with hours to spare. ;) For being someone without a ton of skill in the domestic arts, I'm pretty pleased with myself for how it turned out.


I'll give myself a bit of a break before starting on Eleri's. ;) Fortunately, I think I'll probably be able to get hers done in less time than it took me to do Soren's. There was a pretty steep learning curve that prevented me from being super efficient at the beginning, but I ought to be able to apply what I learned and get through hers a bit more easily.


Day 261


Day 361
Merry Christmas! Tom got me a sweet new fisheye lens, which I of course had to bust out and play with immediately. The kids had a grand time opening all their presents (and then strewing them across the living room), and we had a lovely and chill family day. Possibly the best gift of all was the fact that both children slept until 9am that morning! Hehe.

Whew! Caught up once again. I'm sorry I've been having trouble finding the time to blog on a daily basis. Makes it much more intimidating when I have a few days, and then a week, and then multiple weeks, to catch up on. Once again I shall endeavor to be more consistent with my updates. But you know how that'll probably turn out. ;)

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments: