Saturday, January 22, 2011

Teeth & tidbits


Day 289


Day 14

I spent a fair chunk of the day at the dentist's office, "rehabilitating my smile" as it were. Time will tell if more work will be required, but for now, all seems to be in order.

Since I don't have any Saturday horsing tales to relate, and since I haven't put together this week's video selection(s), I thought I'd share a few little things that have been bouncing around in my head for a while.

There's a tiny handprint at the top of our bathroom mirror. Eleri had been sitting on Tom's shoulders one evening, and at one point she reached over and leaned one hand against the mirror. It's only visible when the lighting conditions are just so, but it makes me smile every time I see it.

It's funny to me how much kids love playing out the same little scripted games over and over and over. I mean, I'm not perplexed by this behavior or surprised by it or anything - heck, I can even remember some of the games I played, years and years ago - but it's still funny. And it's not necessarily that they're acting out something they saw or read. The first time through, it's all original material. But then their little inner director calls, "Cut! Let's run it again!" and they start all over, reciting the same lines they just made up minutes before. This morning, for example, Soren and I were playing out a little scenario in which we were firefighters, asleep in our bunks at the firehouse. We'd wait for the alarm to ring, and then we'd have to hurry to put on our helmets, boots and coats, and then we'd have to drive the firetruck to the fire. Soren would point out the fire, we'd spray it with our hoses, and then it was back in the firetruck. We'd drive back to the firehouse, take off our gear, lie down on our bunks, and start the game all over. He probably would have played, on a loop, quite happily for an hour or more if I hadn't had to start getting myself fed and ready to leave.

I had more, but it's been chased out of my head by these children who refuse to fall asleep. Poor Soren has such a rough time at bedtime if he gets pretty much any sleep during the day, and he dozed off on the couch for a good 20 minutes or so after dinner tonight. So there was much restlessness and getting out of bed and raging against the evil parents trying to make him stay in his room and GO TO SLEEP. And as for Eleri, she melted down rather late in the afternoon and took kind of a long siesta (in addition to her morning nap), so she just wants to play-play-play. Sigh.

Welp, it's 10:35, and they're finally both down for the count (fingers crossed), so I'm going to sign off and get some shut-eye myself. I will do my best to get videos up for you by tomorrow evening. :)

2 comments:

ACJC said...

before and after pictures of the chompers?

susan said...

Yeah, no. I don't think the internet needs to see my abused mouth. ;) I'll send you a photo if you like, though.