Sunday, March 27, 2011

30DOB #4 (And what we've been up to, lately)

Day 4: Tell a joke.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think I am reasonably consistently funny. I crack wise on a regular basis. But it's not hard to play off amusing comments from other people, especially people as hilarious as the ones I tend to pal around with.

I am not very good at straight up joke-telling.

So there are these two fish sitting in a tank, and one of them looks over at the other and says, "Well, do you know how to drive this thing?"

(See what I mean? And no, I didn't write that joke.)

Anyway.

We spent the better part of last week hanging around with some very fun and funny people. Our friends Jake & Auna were in town from California, staying with other friends of ours, Chris & Sarah (and their new little daughter), so we had everyone over for dinner at our place on Wednesday evening. I made homemade black bean burgers - tasty but much too big - along with rosemary-garlic sweet potato fries and a beet/red onion/goat cheese salad. Thursday afternoon, the kids & I took the metro into the city after Soren's last Zoom class to meet Jake & Auna for a walk around the Tidal Basin.


After dealing with the Cherry Blossom Festival crowds the last two years, I can say with complete confidence that the very very best time to go check out the cherry blossoms at the Tidal Basin is the week before the start of the festival. The trees were all in bloom, and aside from a few busloads of marauding tourists at the Jefferson Memorial, there were hardly any people out and about.


We walked around a while, then met up with Tom and another friend, Heather, when they were done with work, and we all went out to dinner. The kids both ate some calimari, and we all had a good laugh at the silly faces Eleri was making while eating her applesauce.

Friday the kids & I returned to the city once more to meet Jake & Auna at the Natural History Museum for a last bit of visiting before they had to head on their way out of town. It was the first time I've seen Soren become fully absorbed by a museum exhibit (the animal skeletons). He wanted to look at each one and wanted Jake (but only Jake) to tell him what animal each skeleton was from. We moved on to the Insect Zoo next, and the lad was pretty jazzed to hold a big ol' cockroach on his arm.

After saying our goodbyes, the kids and I continued on to the Building Museum. We're taking the playschoolers there in a couple of weeks to check out the Lego Exhibit (finally), so we wanted to get the tickets bought in advance. So Soren got to play at the museum for a bit while Eleri napped. Then we made our way home once more.

1 comment:

Tom said...

It is true: Susan is really funny but could not tell a joke (or a story) to save her life.